Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell vs. HP laptop

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:40 PM

Hi,

Which would be the better option (in reliability, security and bloatware) between a new Dell or HP laptop of similar price and specs?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:41 PM

Just my opinion, but I always stick with at least an i3 Processor to start out.  There both pretty reliable but the cheaper HP's don't look all that well made, especially the laptops with the cheaper processors.  The Hp probably has the most bloatware but also almost certianly comes with a Recovery Partition.  While a lot of heavy users don't care about this it's a nice feature for most.  It allows you to recover your system if you were to loose it due to malware or something else, and you could do this even if you did not create Recovery Media, as it is all included in that Recovery Partition, drivers and all.  Security is the same with both as far as I know.  The HP's really do come with a lot of junk though, so if that is important to you then go with the Dell, as it almost certianly has less bloatware.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:54 AM

I agree with tat for the average consumer laptops Dell will have a better laptop and less bloatware, but in the professional line there is no comparison HP is miles better with both better hardware and zero bloatware.

#4 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:25 AM

In terms of Bloatware, I'd just do a full system restore when I get the system.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

System Restore don't get rid of Bloatware?  Are you suggesting a Clean Install with a Retail Image?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

System Restore don't get rid of Bloatware?  Are you suggesting a Clean Install with a Retail Image?

It's worked before for me although it was quite a few years ago so things may have changed.

#7 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

I always stick with at least an i3 Processor to start out.

for the average consumer laptops Dell will have a better laptop and less bloatware, but in the professional line there is no comparison HP is miles better with both better hardware and zero bloatware.

I'm thinking something with specs similar to this or this from HP, and this, this or this from Dell. They're all SSD, 6th or 7th Gen processor, i5 or i7, and 8GB RAM.

The HP's really do come with a lot of junk though, so if that is important to you then go with the Dell, as it almost certianly has less bloatware.

Would just uninstalling or disabling them be enough? And should bloatware really be a factor in my decision if I could just uninstall/disable them (presumably) rendering them a non-factor?

Thank you all.

Edited by bcmo, 05 February 2017 - 09:22 PM.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

Would just uninstalling or disabling them be enough?

And should bloatware really be a factor in my decision if I could just uninstall/disable them (presumably) rendering them a non-factor?

Yes, that is what many will do, or reinstall with a Retail Image.

You asked the question, so we were just answering.  Removing Bloatware can be a nightmare, it's difficult to know what and what not to remove, at least for me it was.  Just installing a Printer Driver can install a bunch of bloatware if you don't know what you are doing.  So if you really like the HP, yes, you could just remove all the bloatware.  But if you ever use the Recovery Partition to reinstall, it will all come back.  So some will immediately image and or create Recovery Media, and then Reinstall with a Retail image that is clean of anything.  

This is one reason I like the Dell's...no Recovery Partition.  You can then just get yourself a Backup drive and create Images to recover from, after creating Recovery Media.  This will put you right back with your custom setup, and not back to square one with all the bloatware and none of your personal apps, files etc.

Now that you've posted some of your options you will get better answers than I can give.  I do however like this one.

Windows 10 Pro

Pay Attention, some of those don't have Optical Drives?

Edited by pcpunk, 05 February 2017 - 01:42 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 ibm650

ibm650

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:13 PM

In my long experience, many of the HP laptops overheated. I would also try to buy a W7 from dell business, I really dislike 10

#10 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

Removing Bloatware can be a nightmare, it's difficult to know what and what not to remove, at least for me it was.

I could always disable all of them (services, startup, etc.) and then re-enable something if it proves necessary for some reason.

There's almost no reason for it anymore (though it would be nice to have one). Is there any advantage in making a recovery disc over a recovery USB?

In my long experience, many of the HP laptops overheated.

Even these higher end ones?

I would also try to buy a W7 from dell business, I really dislike 10

Problem is that to find a Windows 7 with similar specs is very hard. Also, since they're a commodity they're more expensive then a similar one with Windows 10.

Edited by bcmo, 05 February 2017 - 10:00 PM.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

Removing Bloatware can be a nightmare, it's difficult to know what and what not to remove, at least for me it was.

I could always disable all of them (services, startup, etc.) and then re-enable something if it proves necessary for some reason.

There's almost no reason for it anymore (though it would be nice to have one). Is there any advantage in making a recovery disc over a recovery USB?

1. Yes, that is fine, you may find help here as to what to stop and what not too.  I like both anyhow, Dell and HP it don't matter to me, just find one that fits what you want and need.  I would even preview one in a local store if possible.

2. If you are comfortable with no Optical drive that's fine.  

a. I'm not sure, some swear by Disc's and say that they will last longer.  I don't doubt this because this comes from folks that have been doing this a lot longer than I.  I like the USB because of the speed in which it performs, no starting and stopping of the Disc reading, it just goes.  I feel that the Disc could get damaged, scratched etc. and the USB could be put away easier, more portable.  As long as you get something all is good.  Hopefully you will always be able to obtain a Retail Version if you need too also.  Actually, Windows 10 is one that is free and easy to download, at least it was, because I downloaded it myself.  W7-8.1 are a little harder to get, but it can be done.

Out of the HP's I like this one for a few reasons.  One, the seller has a little better reputation and two, it comes with the M.2 Solid-State Drive.  I'm not all that knowledgable but this is what I see between the two HP's, hope it helps.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:34 PM

The Hp probably has the most bloatware but also almost certianly comes with a Recovery Partition...It allows you to recover your system...

The HP partition is on the same drive as everything else, so if that drive fails, how will that partition be saved?

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

It's not, it's a way to restore you system to factory if it's hit by malware etc.  But as I said, it will restore all the bloatware, therefore you will have all that work to do again removing Bloatware, and that is not desireable.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:25 PM

It's not, it's a way to restore you system to factory if it's hit by malware etc.

I don't understand, if the computer only has one internal hard drive, where is the recovery partition located that it's safe if the system fails?

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:51 AM

It's all on the same drive, it's just there as a convenience in case the OS get's corrupted in some way, not a Drive Failure.

http://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c02638587

Many users won't or don't create their Recovery Media upon purchase, so this is a backup for these type of people, the average user.  It's on a separate partition and normally won't be affected by Malware.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users