Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Crashes During Gaming. No Blue Screen, audio still functional.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kingguy1

Kingguy1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

So, for the last couple months I have been running into frequent (and frustrating) full crashes on my PC. I built it a couple years ago, and have had no problems of this sort until moving into a new apartment. Even after moving into the apartment, I did not experience these crashes until a few months after I had moved in. 

The Crash:
The crash always happens in the same fashion. I'm playing a game when the video completely cuts to my monitor. Audio is still playing, and if I'm in voice chat I can occasionally continue talking to the person I'm in the channel with, but after a bit the audio starts to loop and I lose the ability to communicate over chat. The audio will continue looping in this manner until I do a hard boot of the system. 

This can occur as soon as the game boots into the game engine (it never occurs in menus), or take as long as an hour to manifest.

This crash does not occur in every game. Originally, it only occurred in Overwatch. This lasted about a month before the crash stopped happening in Overwatch, and started happening in many other games including: Dishonored 2, XCom 2, Resident Evil 7, Borderlands 2, and Pillars of Eternity. I have not tested other games to see if the crash occurs in other places. Pillars of Eternity stands out as especially odd, since my PC runs Overwatch without issue.

What I have done so far:

I have attempted to monitor heat of the GPU and CPU and noticed no noticeable spikes during crashes. Watching the Task Manager, as well, shows no noticeable spikes in usage before crashes occur.

I have reinstalled Windows 10, and wiped both hard drives. I did not have a system restore set before this started happening.

I have purchased new RAM to replace my previous 2 sticks of 4gb RAM. 

I have installed an additional fan to manage heat in the case.

I have attempted to swap out the graphics card and RAM in a friend's PC, but it was difficult to know whether or not the computer was performing better without testing each situation for at least an hour- which I feel a bit guilty making him sit through. If people think this is my best bet though, I can check with him about swapping out parts again.

I have rolled back graphics card drivers as well as making sure everything is up to date.

My Build:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z170-HD3-CF
CPU:  Intel Core i5-6500
GPU:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB 2133MHz DDR4

Hard Drive: WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM, Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750

What I've considered:
Faulty GPU seems the most likely. I've not had the card very long (a little over a year), and I've had no issues with it before now, but it seems like the most likely culprit. Haven't thought of a way to test it though, outside of just running it in another build for over an hour on a demanding game. 

Processor is another possibility. I've had the processor an even shorter time than the GPU, but there was a period of time where the fan cooling it came unplugged. I believe it was only for a day or two, and it seemed to turn off automatically as soon as I started any games, but I do worry that it could be damaged.

The outlet in my room is the last possibility I've considered. Might go out and get something to check the voltage on it. Not sure what a healthy number is and will have to see what kind of wattage is needed for my power supply. 

So yeah. This has been going on a while and it's very frustrating. I'm willing to pay to replace whatever is the problem, it's just a matter of figuring out what part is causing the problem. Please let me know if you can help. I'm at my wits end here. 

Edited by Kingguy1, 04 February 2017 - 10:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

In order for one of us (usasma or me) to analyze your situation, please follow the instructions here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

and attach the requested files in your next post.

Thanks. :)

P.S. Re-install your graphics drivers, but execute the DRIVER-ONLY re-installation of them, to avoid unwanted, unnecessary components:

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-tips-and-tricks/1188-nvidia-video-cards-driver-only-installation-procedure.html

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Kingguy1

Kingguy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:17 PM

I reposted the thread with the zip files you asked for. Feel free to delete or lock this thread. Thank you!

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:43 PM

Hi

As per your request I am closing this thread to avoid confusion.

The new post is here

Random Crashes During Gaming. No Blue Screen, audio still...

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users