Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heeeeeeeellllllllpppppppp Me!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mac13

Mac13

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:59 PM

First time user on this site, hope someone can help me. I think my computer has a virus. Heres the problem(s). First my Norton won't work, I can't even open it, it gives me a "A problem has occurred with norton, shutting down immediatly". It won't even let me uninstall it. AVG free work but it doesn't allow me to update, and doesn't find a virus, same with spybot and adaware. Also second, any https sites do not work. And third, msn messenger does not work, when I try to sign in, it says it can't, so I click troubleshoot and its finding problems with "host files...." and "Key ports..." Someone please help me :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:15 PM

Follow this link to uninstall Norton. It is for 2003 but also has links on it for later Norton products.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.n...001092114452606

Hard to say if it is Norton causing your problems or not. After uninstalling and you are still having problems, I would suggest you post a Hijack This Log following the instructions found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

If Norton is also your firewall, after uninstalling Norton, you should temporarily use Windows firewall while reinstalling Norton or another firewall. In other words, avoid going online without a firewall.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Vick

Vick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:41 PM

First time user on this site, hope someone can help me. I think my computer has a virus. Heres the problem(s). First my Norton won't work, I can't even open it, it gives me a "A problem has occurred with norton, shutting down immediatly". It won't even let me uninstall it. AVG free work but it doesn't allow me to update, and doesn't find a virus, same with spybot and adaware. Also second, any https sites do not work. And third, msn messenger does not work, when I try to sign in, it says it can't, so I click troubleshoot and its finding problems with "host files...." and "Key ports..." Someone please help me :thumbsup:

Hi,

Well first of all, you really should never put more than one anti-virus program on a computer at once. When there's two anti-virus programs, they will conflict with each other, they both are trying to work off the same place of your computer so they end up disabling each other, thats why your AVG wont update, and that's why your getting the error message with Norton.

Also Ad-Aware is a anti-spyware program and normall anti-spyware programs wont conflict with anti-virus prgrams, but Ad-aware is a little different than some, it also will scan for trogans (another type of virus), so its doing the same function as normal anit-virus programs. With mcafee, if you have Ad-aware installed before you install mcafee, then mcafee wont work properly. But if you install Ad-aware after you've installed mcafee, some reason it will still work. I don't know if the same goes for Norton, so that might be another conflict...

Because the Norton and AVG are probably disabling and corrupting each other, the Norton's firewall is probably keeping your msn and Internet explorer from getting access to the internet.

So call norton and they can help you manually uninstall it and then uninstall the AVG. Once AVG is uninstalled then try to reinstall norton. Norton's # 8004417234

Vick

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:41 PM

Norton or Symantec does not conflict with Ad-Aware. I have used both together for two years. Additionally, the University which uses Symantec Corporate Edition and encourages everyone connected with the University to use the same also recommends using Ad-Aware.

I have also used Ad-Aware and AVG free together with no problems as well as Ad-Aware and ZoneAlarm Security Suite which I now use.

Question: Did you install AVG since you developed the problems with Norton, or did you have both before your problems started? Which version of Norton are you or were you using?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Mac13

Mac13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:13 PM

I had both before the problems started. I'm using Norton internet security 2005

Follow this link to uninstall Norton. It is for 2003 but also has links on it for later Norton products.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.n...001092114452606

Hard to say if it is Norton causing your problems or not. After uninstalling and you are still having problems, I would suggest you post a Hijack This Log following the instructions found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

If Norton is also your firewall, after uninstalling Norton, you should temporarily use Windows firewall while reinstalling Norton or another firewall. In other words, avoid going online without a firewall.

I tried this but my computer won't let me run the program :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users