Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low-cost, *Easy-to-use* video editing software??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LouHatesComputers

LouHatesComputers

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:41 PM

Can anyone help me? I'm looking for inexpensive, *easy to use* video editing software. I have no real experience editing videos, and I don't want it to be overly complicated. I want to edit videos and vlogs to upload to Youtube. I am also poor as hell and can't afford hundreds of dollars, or even $70, for PowerDirector. The cheapest PowerDirector on their website was around $70, which is too much. I've heard of several programs, but a link to a low-cost program would be great.

"Reports of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated." --Capt.Picard, Star Trek: First Contact

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:03 AM

You can still use Windows DVD Maker and you can download it here no worries about the download i have tested it for any potential malware / pups / or any other potential vector

http://www.windows-dvd-maker.com/

It's free and easy to use and yes, I have used it myself, and here is a nice basic tutorial and how to use it. it also has a direct-upload to youtube button as well. I mean it's basic but sometimes "basic" is good.

Edited by Zone_86, 05 February 2017 - 06:04 AM.

#3 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:53 AM

hi,

since video edit and rendering is a part of my job i would like to suggest sony vegas pro version or not even with an old version you can do a lot with truly professional results

check ebay for some very cheap price on sony vegas legal software new and old versions

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xsony+vegas+8.TRS0&_nkw=sony+vegas+8&_sacat=0

sony vegas now belongs to magix 

forget about anything like roxio, power director and the likes, with the same amount of money if not cheaper you can buy sony vegas

yes, there is also the adobe premiere pro (premier elements is the lite version)

i am not an adobe premiere user so that's why i have suggested sony vegas

you can capture, edit and render your videos with professional results with sony vegas, also you can create some very nice slide shows as well

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sony+vegas+tutorials

the decision is yours

good luck my friend

Edited by nickos, 19 February 2017 - 02:59 AM.

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,682 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:03 PM

Check the Video Editor links below, might find something there:

http://www.videohelp.com/software/popular

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#5 cyberjaguar

cyberjaguar

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:37 AM

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/the-best-free-video-editor-1330136

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

You didn't ask, but I thought you might find this helpful before you invest money....video editing is probably the most demanding of any software that can be run on a computer. It even beats out Photoshop for resource demands. Rendering alone requires a really heavy duty video card and fast processor, especially if you are going to be rendering in blue ray or higher resolution.  If you have an older, basic machine with 2 gig or RAM of less, you may get away with Windows DVD maker as Zone_86 suggested above, but don't expect super pro results. Just a thought based on years of doing this professionally.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 dinotech-stjames

dinotech-stjames

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:03 AM

You didn't ask, but I thought you might find this helpful before you invest money....video editing is probably the most demanding of any software that can be run on a computer. It even beats out Photoshop for resource demands. Rendering alone requires a really heavy duty video card and fast processor, especially if you are going to be rendering in blue ray or higher resolution.  If you have an older, basic machine with 2 gig or RAM of less, you may get away with Windows DVD maker as Zone_86 suggested above, but don't expect super pro results. Just a thought based on years of doing this professionally.

This.. very true, video editing is where memory and i7s finally start to shine. You can get started on an old machine, but consider adding ram if all you have is 4 gigs or less. Test it out first, see what your PC can handle. It might take long to render final versions, but it still gets done.

---

I'll give you my suggestion. You can use free stuff to start, but it's really not expensive to make the jump to something better, dependable, and that you can really grow your editing skills with. Vegas is probably the best choice for cost.

A basic editor is more than capable of pulling off all the work you need. The latest version of Vegas Movie Studio costs $50 and it has everything but all the bells and whistles from Vegas Pro which you don't need:

http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio/product-comparison/#productMenu

Lately I opted to use Adobe Premier on monthly subscriptions. Since I only use it about one month out of four, this makes perfect sense for me, and remains affordable for my specific needs. But not good if you will be editing every week so..

my best suggestion is make the jump to vegas movie studio, you will not regret it and will be able to quickly flourish your editing skills with the massive amounts of tutorials available online.

#8 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:16 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions but maybe I didn't make my needs clear enough.

Last week I recorded a number of groups at a festival I organized

I wanted to record each song separately but found it a bit impractical so I let the camcorder run for the duration

All I want now is to cut it down to make several videos , one for each song

All I need is a simple program to achieve that. Nothing fancy. I don't need special effects or titles scrolling across the screen

I tried Windows DVD maker and it doesn't seem to do what I want

Firstly it played one video upside down and another when I tried to edit it says a watermark would appear on the result

I guess that one is not for me

#9 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:15 PM

Video editing requires a lot of time and patience. All of the above contains valuable references which, as time goes by, may be useful to you. However, there might be some confusion between a)video editing and b)DVD making. 

OK so to begin with, working within basics and budget, I am guessing you have Windows Movie Maker installed on your computer. (WMV is free and good to learn about video editing before contemplating expensive software.) 

a)First upload your video from camcorder > computer. Make a separate copy of the file for editing or just back-up incase you somehow accidentally erase or lose the original. From here, this link should help for your particular project. You should end up with separate video files for each of the songs. Now you can pick out one to share/youtube etc. or combine 2 or 3 of the best and/or add titles, credits and experiment with transitions to make a neat little movie.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/moviemaker-av/how-do-i-separate-one-video-into-two-three-etc/f4a5c88e-b275-4821-9d78-b8d65d5bc68e

b)Now you add your chosen files to DVD Maker ...and create menus etc. 

Cheers and good luck with your project  :)

Edited by violetrose, 24 April 2017 - 11:22 PM.

#10 N_Delago

N_Delago

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:25 PM

If you want nothing fancy, I would recommend Lightworks free version. Their trimming feature is one of the most easily and intuitively implemented. 

Alternatively, Videopad is also a good option for that simple purpose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users