Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My dsl modem is only 802.11 b/g. Is it outdated?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

It is a Westell 7500 dsl modem, dated around 2009.

I rarely get a wireless internet connection over 1/2 Mb, yet I'm paying for a much faster connection.

The fact sheet is located here (but I'm really just wondering if they gave me an outdated modem about a year ago when it was first installed).

I know b/g is considered obsolete with other devices. Shouldn't it be b/g/n?

Thanks

https://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/pdf/modems/datasheet-7500.pdf

Edited by brian2009, 04 February 2017 - 08:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

Found out even the b limit is as high as 10 MB. So it must be something else.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

Most likely that modem can't support the full bandwidth /channels you are getting from the isp

Given 2009 would mean Docis 1 or 1.1.  You want 3.1 Docis level

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

#4 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

802.11b will give a max speed of 11Mbit/s
This is typically shared equally for both directions so practical speedlimit would be max 5.5Mbit/s

802.11g will give a max speed of 54Mbit/s
Same thing with sharing for both directions, so typical max 27Mbit/s limit

So, depending on how you use the wireless it might or might not be sufficient.
*If you have say a 6mbit line you should be just covered
*If you use the wireless for other things like transfering files between computers, stream video from a nas box or similar things I would say its not good enough.

You could either complain to the isp and ask them for a modem with better wifi in it, or you could buy your own wireless and hook up to that.

I'd recommend getting one with 5GHz AC in it, just because you are more future proof with that setup :)

That said, have you tested what speeds you get if you connect with an ethernet cable directly to the modem?

If you have a wifi problem you would get the speed you pay for on cable but not on wifi.

If they are both the same your isp might have an issue with the connection somewhere.
It could be everywhere from between your modem and the adsl central, to capacity problems in their backbone.

HTH!

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users