Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop can't connect to router but still detects networks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JackDanger

JackDanger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

Over the last week my laptop has had hours-long periods where I can't connect to the Internet. My laptop is a Lenovo E540 running Windows 10. None of my other devices have had any issues. I've run the troubleshooter as an administrator, deleted and reinstalled the network drive, turned off the antivirus, used all the netsh and winsock commands I could find and even reset the network, and nothing works. Three interesting things:

1. My computer can still detect networks, it just can't connect to them. When I click the Connect button, it tries to connect forever, and when I click off the box it stops trying.

2. When I ran the netsh int ip reset command, everything else reset just fine but it said "Resetting , failed" last and said access denied.

3. A few weeks before this started happening, the outside of the laptop separated from the screen in the bottom right corner. I'd post a picture if I could.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

the outside of the laptop separated from the screen in the bottom right corner.

It could be that this has damaged your wifi unit, your description of the symptoms suggests it is receiving but not transmitting. Looking at the exploded image in the manual for this computer the wifi unit appears to be located near the bottom right hand corner of the screen. It's item 5 on page 52 here -

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/e540_hmm_en_sp40a26433.pdf

To get at it you would need to dismantle the laptop, something to be approached with care. There is at least one video on YouTube on dismantling this laptop -

An alternative would be to to try a USB wifi dongle. These require no skill to plug in and are fairly cheap !  They also save the time and sweat involved in taking your laptop to pieces and putting it back together again.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

2. When I ran the netsh int ip reset command, everything else reset just fine but it said "Resetting , failed" last and said access denied.

You would need to run the command shell as administrator

In Windows10 this is easy. Just press and hold the Windows flag key, then press X
Choose Command Prompt (Admin)

The reset command should now work

HTH!

tfn

#4 JackDanger

JackDanger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:54 PM

I ran every command as an administrator. I really hope I don't have to dismantle the laptop. Is there any other option?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:54 PM

From my #2 -

An alternative would be to to try a USB wifi dongle. These require no skill to plug in and are fairly cheap !  They also save the time and sweat involved in taking your laptop to pieces and putting it back together again.

Purely as an example of what I refer to, from Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN823N-Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B0088TKTY2/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1486864319&sr=1-4&keywords=usb+wifi+dongle

Price £UK 8 +p&p

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users