Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User account issues? Administrator permission problems?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SacSurge

SacSurge

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:41 PM

Contacted DELL support today to get help, but was told Hardware issues only on my warranty and my machine was running slow from virus infection. I let him take remote access and he installed SuperAntispyware which did find a bunch of tracking cookies but they were shown as non malicious as I was watching him remove them. He then tried to sell me a $300 software warranty so I'm here to hopefully learn to setup and protect my machine myself. I used winXP for 10 years and now win 10 so I'm a little green still, but can learn stuff pretty fast.

Dell XPS 8900 desktop

win 10

I contacted Dell because I saw a DELL update trying to install 3 or 4 days in a row and assumed something wrong when it kept showing up each morning the past 4 or 5 days. I also can't make simple changes to a program I use daily anymore and the company says no issues with the program it must be admin access issue.

So hoping to get some help to verify my machine is infection free and my user account is setup properly.

Thanks,

Larry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

Are you sure this update is being sent from Dell?

What is the update?

As for the Admin. account.  You can create another Admin. account and try it to see if it works.  If it does but the original doesn't it may be corrupted.

If you wish to determine if this computer is infected or not let me know and I will help you with this.  The security scans that you would use may not be used in the Windows forums for security reasons.  Because of this the topic will need to be moved to the Am I Infected forum where these tools may be used.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users