Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hd Not Recognised

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 sinding

sinding

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

I bought a Seagate 250gig external Hard Drive. It worked perfectly at first. I backed up nearly all my music. After a couple of weeks I decided to make it last longer by switching it off while I wasn't using it. I clicked on the icons in the tray and it told me it was ok to switch off mass storage device 'H' (which was my HD's letter)So I did. Later though, when I switched it back on, the error message 'H is not accessible, this folder was moved or removed) came up. I have tried all combinations of switching on and off ie Switch off, restart ,Switch on or leave switch on and restart etc, but nothing works. It is a USB connected drive. Can anyone help please?
PS
Win 2000 prof op system. Doesn't require an external driver.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

Could you try the drive on another computer to see if it works?

What is the exact model of your drive?
JC

#3 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:40 AM

Thankyou for answering. I don't have access to another computer at the moment so I can't try it. I am not sure what the exact identification is. I'll type everything visible whic might have to do with the model.
ITE E106814
Part no 9BD833-61
Serial no 5ND3CGTN
ST300003U2
Is this of any help?
Eddy

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

I did a search for the model - ST300003U2 - nothing was found in my searches with that number on the Seagate website. Seagate has a External Drive Troubleshooter that you should go through to see if you can come up with a solution to your problem. Let us know how you make out with them.

http://www.seagate.com/support/ts/external...device_mgr.html
JC

#5 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:02 PM

Thanks very much. I will try the site and see what it says.
Eddy

#6 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:52 PM

Had An E-mail asking if I had any luck with my Seagate external HD. I can't find this person's enquiry in this forum and there was no E-mail address. Anyway here is a reply. I went to the site recommended by JC but it didn't solve my problem. I have decided to wait until I can try the HD on another machine (not too long of course it might be faulty). I had a similar problem with a quite expensive MP3 player. It worked perfectly for a while then one day it was not recognised. I thought that the player was at fault since I had done nothing to the computer previously. I sent it back to the makers and it was returned with the message that it was working ok. I next got the chance to try it on an XP machine and it was recognised. I tried all sorts to try and solve the problem but with no luck. I reinstalled Win2000d the player was recognised and have had no trouble with the it since. I will presume the Seagate drive is ok and the fault lies with my machine. The only difference is that the drive has an on-off switch whereas I had to unplug the MP3 player. I will wait and see. If the XP machine doesn't recognise it then I will send it back as faulty.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:05 PM

Try plugging it into another usb port.

#8 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:23 AM

Well I always think when i see these things, two things, one HijackThis log because stuff that gets destroyed by being plugged in too long is not right :thumbsup:. But more importantly, I think you should check up on your usb drivers. Check for an error in device manager. if there is none get back to me.

#9 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:51 PM

Sorry for the delay but I couldn't continue until I tried the drive on another m/c . At last I managed to test it today on a machine with XP OS. It wouldn't show up on that machine either. I tried every USB port as well. I have sent an Email to the firm where I got the HD and I am waiting for a reply. In the meantime I will reconnect the drive and try every USB port on my machine. I didn't try any other ports the first time. I will look in device manager and see if there is an error for my USB connection.
eddy

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

Does the light on the hard drive come on when you press the button?

Are you sure it's getting power?

Seagate hard drives are warrantied for five years, and they are excellent in providing warranty service (at least they were for me - I will never buy a different brand!) so you have no problem as far as that goes.

Go into computer management (after you check that the hard drive is getting power) and see if you can see the drive there - even if it has a different drive letter or no drive letter at all).

#11 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:26 PM

Tried the HD again and had a look in device manager and there was a yellow exclamation in the usb connections which disappeared after disconnection. When I first connect the HD I get a message saying that Windows will look for a driver and asks me to identify the the location of an appropriate driver ie CD drive etc. But there is no CD since the HD uses an already available Windows driver. I had bought a USB hub and tried it for the first time. Again I got the recognition of a USB device but not the driver. Yet if I plug in my mp3 player connector into the same USB port, it is recognised and no conflict exclamation mark in device manager. I do not know what is wrong it has got me really puzzled.
Eddy

#12 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:49 PM

If it didn't work on the other computer, and it doesn't work on your computer, I would suspect that your drive is defective. I would talk with Seagate and see if you can get a warranty replacement. Tell them that you tried it on 2 computers without success. Don't give them any doubt that the drive is defective. Hopefully, you have the same success getting the drive replaced as Enthusiast did.

Let us know.
JC

#13 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:48 PM

Thankyou for your useful replies. I will contact Seagate and see what they say. I am not sure where computer management is. What is the path? The drive light does come on. Anyway I will have to leave it till tomorrow now as it is 12.45am here. So will have another go on Fri.
Eddy

#14 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:56 PM

Disk Management

To verify your hard disc was properly detected by your Operating System using Windows 2000 or XP's Disk Management Utility:

1. Right-click on the My Computer icon from your Windows Desktop.
2. Select Manage.
3. Double-click on Storage.
4. Double-click on Disk Management.

http://www.seagate.com/support/ts/external...device_mgr.html
JC

#15 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:38 AM

The disc doesn't show up in disc management. I followed the Seagate link and got the phone number. I had a chat with one of their staff. When I mentioned that the drive had not been recognised on two machines he concluded it was faulty. I was given a telephone number for the warranty service but I was waiting for a reply from the firm where I bought it first. I have since had reply and they are going to send a replacement and refund any cost of the return. I do hope the replacement works. Why I am saying this is the thought that the fault might lie with my computer. Remember I said the USB hub wasn't recognised yet the light came on. My Epson printer hasn't been working either. The mp3 players (2 with different mp3 connectors) and my Broadband USB connection are ok. But I cannot have 3 faulty devices, can I? Anyway I will wait and see. Thanks again for your help, I will get back to you when I have some news.
Eddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users