Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi capability repeatedly turns itself off and will not turn on

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sdfgw

sdfgw

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

Hello, sorry if I've posted this on the wrong board, I'm not too familiar with this sort of thing...

For a while now I've had a frustrating issue with my Acer Aspire V5-561 laptop where, after around a couple of weeks, seemingly randomly, my wifi capability will be disabled upon startup and will not even attempt to search for networks to connect to - even ethernet is unavailable. Running the troubleshooter simply says that I have wifi manually disabled, however pressing Fn-F3 only toggles flight mode on and off, and attempting to click the wifi switch in the settings menu has no effect. My network adaptor seems to be fine, and reinstalling it seems to make no difference.  Each time this has happened the problem seemed to fix itself after a couple of hours of trying to fix it, with nothing I tried having any real effect.

The problem has just occurred again and I really don't know what to do; I'm hoping somebody may know why this is happening so I can fix the problem at its source, or at least know how to fix it each time the wifi disables itself. I have a feeling it may have been caused in part by the upgrade to Windows 10, but I don't really know enough to be sure.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:51 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Win 10, and some of its updates, have been known to cause wifi problems. In your case probably the best solution is first to go to the ASUS web-site and download the latest Win 10 drivers for your wifi and ethernet systems, then uninstall the present and install the newest ones. If you plug your model number into the support page on the ASUS web-site you should find the drivers fairly easily. Of course if you cannot get your internet connection to work you can download the drivers using another computer and save them to a memory stick.

Then go into 'Device manager' (Control panel - System - Device manager) and expand the entry 'Network adaptors' until you see the individual adapters. Double click on each and the details panel will open, open the Drivers section and uninstall the existing drivers through that. Then I would re-boot, go back into Device manager and install the new drivers using the same panels as you used to uninstall.

This should fix your problem, until the next big update.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 sdfgw

sdfgw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the reply! My internet connection fixed itself in the meantime, but I'm struggling to find the Windows 10 drivers you're talking about - if you meant Acer then I've already got that driver on memory stick. I'm also a little confused by the reinstall method - when I go the Driver section the only option is to uninstall the device which removes it from the Device Manager entirely, meaning I can't use it to install the new drivers. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding!

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,589 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

Correction - for ASUS read ACER !  Obviously an attack of the stupids. Have a look at this image which was generated from a computer running 8.1

device-manager.jpg

The left hand pane (#1) shows Device manager itself, the right hand one (#2) shows the adapter properties panel. Since you have the current drivers on a memory stick ignore the 'Uninstall' pointer and click 'Update', then navigate to your new drivers and select them and then it is either click 'update' or 'apply'.

I don't have a convenient computer running Win 10 but I believe these panels have not changed.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 sdfgw

sdfgw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:44 PM

Thanks again for being patient with me! I clicked Update Driver and chose the folder that contained the driver I had downloaded, but clicking 'Next' only brought up a message saying that I already have the best driver software installed. I did try installing this driver several times through 'setup.exe' within the folder while my internet connection was broken, but it didn't fix anything so I'm not sure if that's related. 

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,589 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

That message means you already have the latest drivers installed. This suggestion was in the nature of an immediate reaction drill.

How old is this laptop ?  The reason I ask is that laptop wifi units have been known to fail, or the antenna leads to detach which has the same effect. One fix is to use an external USB wifi dongle. If you don't have one or can't borrow one these are not particularly expensive and if you try one and it works every time it does suggest a problem with the wifi unit. I use one permanently on my desktop because it has never had an internal wifi card and I have an elderly laptop in which the wifi unit failed at about two years old.

The alternative is to go in and have a look at the wifi card connections but these laptops are not particularly easy to tear down. I found two videos on YouTube. Unhappily the one on the the V5-561 concentrates on the keyboard while the complete teardown one is for a V5-571 which is similar but not identical.

The V5-561

The V5-571

This shows the wifi unit starting at 7min10

The intermittent nature of the fault suggests possibly a loose antenna connection. Personally I would try a dongle before I started stripping down a laptop, they are fiddly and need a considerable amount of care. Purely as an example here is one from Amazon UK's catalogue -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN823N-Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B0088TKTY2/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1486337885&sr=1-4&keywords=usb+wifi+dongle

Chris Cosgrove

#7 sdfgw

sdfgw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:13 PM

My laptop is also about two years old, just over. I think we may actually have a USB wifi adapter in the house, though it's very old by now so I don't know if it still works or if it would be compatible. I suppose once I see if it works / buy a newer one I'll just have to wait and ensure that the problem doesn't recur? If this is the case, would you say it's worth attempting to fix the wifi unit or should I just continue using the USB wifi adapter permanently?

Would an issue with the wifi unit still explain problems with ethernet connection?

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:03 PM

From your manual

Acer notebook computers feature an Airplane mode hotkey that turns the network connection on or off.

From the user manual found here

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/5154;-;Aspire+V5-561G

"pressing Fn-F3 only toggles flight mode on and off"

Fn> + <F3> Airplane mode Turns on / off the computer's network devices. (Network devices vary by configuration.)

Make sure its on. 

Also go into device manager and make sure the wifi is set to always on with no power save

According to the product support page you have a Atheros wifi adapter

Look under Drivers and wireless then download and install the wifi driver

Edited by Wand3r3r, 06 February 2017 - 08:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users