Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auslogics defrag and MBAM

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

Apologies if  this is not the  correct section. I had a problem finding a section dealing with this defrag software.

I have used Auslogics defrag for years and find it very good.  BUT MBAM always picks up a great many Pup's after using a number of Auslogics defrags. Once MBAM found around 150 Auslogic Pup's and 50 + is not unusual.

Oddly enough, MBAM picks up all these Pup's during the heuristics scan at the end of the scan process. Other malware scan programs I use do not pick up any such Auslogic Pup's although their settings do include Pup's as an item to scan for.

Can anybody comment on this ?

Edited by hamluis, 04 February 2017 - 11:22 AM.
Moved from Backup/Imaging to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrew193

andrew193

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:35 AM

Apologies if  this is not the  correct section. I had a problem finding a section dealing with this defrag software.

I have used Auslogics defrag for years and find it very good.  BUT MBAM always picks up a great many Pup's after using a number of Auslogics defrags. Once MBAM found around 150 Auslogic Pup's and 50 + is not unusual.

Oddly enough, MBAM picks up all these Pup's during the heuristics scan at the end of the scan process. Other malware scan programs I use do not pick up any such Auslogic Pup's although their settings do include Pup's as an item to scan for.

I'm having the same problem, also picking up Auslogic regcleaner as well.

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:47 AM

I'm having the same problem, also picking up Auslogic regcleaner as well.

Andrew,

Perhaps some genius will see our plight and provide an answer. I hope so, the fact that MBAM picks up hundreds of Auslogic Pup's and other reputable programs do not gives me the collywobbles.

Surely we cannot have TWO definitions of what a Pup is ?

1. A Pup as defined by MBAM.

2. A Pup as defined by the rest of the world.

Edited by Beaker77, 04 February 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#4 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:26 PM

Hello,

The program is flagged because it meets the standards set out in Malwarebytes' PUP policy. For further insight, you may wish to consider reading the following Malwarebytes article and a post describing a fellow user's experience.

If you've intentionally installed the program, you can by all means exclude it from detection within Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

• Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and click the SETTINGS tab.
  • On the left hand side, click Detection and Protection.
  • Look for the 'Non-Malware Detections' portion and change the PUP and PUM settings to Warn user about detections.
  • Ensure the program in question is fully installed and then run a Threat Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. When the scan completes, uncheck the boxes next to each of the detections.
    Note: To uncheck all at once, click the uppermost box next to the 'Threats' column title.
  • Click the Next button.
  • Click Ignore always. After this, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will no longer detect the program.

If you have Malwarebytes 3.0 installed, please refer to the instructions below.

• Launch Malwarebytes and click the Settings menu.
  • Click the Protection tab and scroll down to Potential Threat Protection.
  • In the drop-down box under Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) and Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUMs), select Warn User.
  • Ensure the program in question is fully installed and then run a Threat Scan with Malwarebytes. When the scan completes, uncheck the boxes next to each of the detections.
    Note: To uncheck all of them at once, click the uppermost checkbox next to the 'Severity' column title.
  • Click the Next button.
  • Click Ignore always. After this, Malwarebytes will no longer detect the program.

Posted Image

#5 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

@ Liquid Tension - Malware Response Instructor

What an impeccable reply - thank you so much.

#6 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:42 PM

You're very welcome. :)

Posted Image

#7 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:06 AM

@ Liquid Tension - Malware Response Instructor

I appreciate greatly your instructions for having these Pup's ignored, but as I do not favour hundreds of them accumulating, I may as well let MBAM (I have version 3) delete them. But you telling me how to opt out is  great help.

Sorry about the coloured text, it is because I copied and pasted your user name and again thanks for you time.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:51 AM

Sorry about the coloured text, it is because I copied and pasted your user name and again thanks for you time.

If you disable the WYSIWYG editor, it won't happen :)

6xYc9D3.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:39 AM

Unless we are still dealing with Windows XP, who actually defrags more than, say, annually if dealing with Win7 or later, anyway? :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

If one is using an "older" HD, sometimes defragging the HD makes the backup routine go a little bit faster.

Edited by RolandJS, 09 February 2017 - 12:32 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#11 Porthos

Porthos

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:21 PM

If you want auslogics, Uninstall what you have and let MB clean it up. Download the portable version and use that, It is not detected at this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users