Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb external hard disk - possible data corruption

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:29 AM

hi to all,

i am back again to the forum after few months

my verbatim usb external hard disk (1 terra) have some issues with files and folders

for an unknown reason many folders are missing  and i cannot delete some folders 

partitionguru show no any active partition and ask to correct it but i haven't done anything, although my files and folders can be access (except the files and folders that are missing)

i use the drive only for backup drive (a large 1 terra  space)

the drive is a year old without any physical damage according to partitionguru smart report

this link i think have to do with my problem

http://html5.litten.com/updated-how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

it will take hours to fully scan my drive and  try to recover any lost or deleted files so please i ask for your kind help

can i prevent my usb drive from being corrupted ?

os windows xp pro 32 bits

many thanks in advance

Edited by nickos, 04 February 2017 - 05:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

The first thing I would do is backup the data on the external drive you cannot afford to lose and then run a disk diagnostic with Seatools for Windows.

Do the short and long generic tests. The corruption could be due to a problem with the OS. XP is getting long in the tooth with no security updates. 

#3 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:27 AM

good morning dear JohnC_21,

i thank you for your kind reply

I will download the seatools and with the partitionguru i hope to recover my files

my windows xp sp3 have all the latest updates but it seems that my problem with data corruption have to do with the safe to remove external device option

thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,608 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

Does XP confirm that the external is Safe to Remove when you right click the external drive in the System Tray? I would recover your files first as doing a drive diagnostic can put more strain on the drive. After you have recovered your files and if the drive passes then do a chkdsk /r on the external drive.

#5 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

good afternoon dear JohnC_21,

sometimes the windows confirm that "is safe to remove the external usb device" but  sometimes not

my problem have to do with this

seatools didn't find anything wrong not even bad sectors

i haven't write or delete anything from my usb drive

i have tried partionguru (the free edition cannot recover any files) but after some time the program stop

now i am checking my usb  drive with the easeus (demo) data recovery but the scan process is so slow and it will take almost twenty four hours for a full scan

please, i wish to know if i can find any free data recovery program to recover my data

thanks again fr your kind help

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,608 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

If XP does not show a notice to safely remove you should always shutdown before removing the USB external drive.

Recuva is a free recovery program but the scan will take a long time. Easeus will let you recover up to 2GB for free.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,795 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:02 AM

I have had good luck with the PhotoRec (which recovers more than photos) program that's part of TestDisk, which might be handy as a first check.

I just recovered thousands of files from a disc drive that Windows would not recognize as a valid drive using PhotoRec.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

hi again to all,

dear friends i thank you very much for the replies

i will download the programs you have suggested hoping for the best

by the way... i think that easeus is a good program even if more professional so i am thinking to buy it

the price is not too high, something like us dollars 69 (download)

i don't know if with the easeus i can stop the scan process and save the session for later

this is something good because i will try to recover my data by scan my drives few hours per day

thanks again for the help

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,608 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

Brian suggested PhotoRec which is a good program. If you scan the drive and stop it will continue the scan from where it was stopped. It is best to pick the extensions you want to recover using the File Options. PhotoRec recovers files in real time so make sure you have enough free space on the recovery drive. I would first use the Unallocated Space option first. 

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

#10 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:29 PM

thanks for the details,

i have noticed that my drive have an unallocated space ... so you gave me the answer !!!

many thanks my friend

#11 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

hi to all,

i have downloaded Recuva and i will try later on the program

if i cancel easeus (no stop option) while scanning the program start again from the beginning so i will try to find something that enable me to scan my drive in sessions since it takes too long for a complete scan

my lost files can be found under "orphan files"

thanks again for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users