Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folders Change to System Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mjcn19

mjcn19

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:33 AM

Hi.

I bought a new 1 TB FLASH DRIVE online last year. I saved a lot of files like documents, music, videos, applications, etc..

Before I saved all these files, I created different folders for different types of file and named them as MUSIC.COM for music files, MOVIES.EXE for movie files and etc..

Then one day when I tried to insert my flash drive to my laptop, all my files were just disappear. I've tried to reformat my FLASH DRIVE and tried some different kinds of recovery software but none of them have worked and I only see the folders I've created (MUSIC.COM, MOVIES.EXE).

And by the way, my FLASH DRIVE is using a FAT 32 FILE SYSTEM. So I guess by creating folders with .COM and .EXE extensions the OS have detected them as SYSTEM FILES and converted them. But when I open them nothing happens. Just a pop up windows and then they disappear.

Now I'm really having a hard time searching for answers and solutions to my problem on how to recover all my files. Hope somebody can help me.

Thanks.

mjcn19

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:07 PM

Folders don't have extensions, only files have them. The extension is the part of the whole file name after the fullstop. For example Letter.DOC, Application.EXE, Photo.JPG and so on. Almost certainly what is happening is your OS is seeing these folders as files and is trying to open them as files.

Since you say you tried to format this drive it may be too late to recover your files but you could try renaming these folders to just 'Music' or 'Movies' without any extensions. Right click on the name of one of these folders and, towards the bottom of the pop--up menu you will get, you will see 'Rename'. Click this and see if you can remove the extension. If this works you may find your files are still there but I wouldn't bet on it.

However once you have renamed these folders you may be able to re-format this drive if your files are either gone or corrupted.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users