Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is The Newer WeatherBug Version 10 Safe To Use With Windows 7 or 10?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ToyotaMan2012

ToyotaMan2012

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

Hello. I have a question to ask you. First, nice to meet you!

I have recently installed a well-known software program most people have heard of that in the past was deemed by most IT experts and malware software programs as being at best as a low-risk spyware threat. Its name is WeatherBug. There are a plethora of online articles that specifically declare it to be malware; yet the company that created it, AWS Convergence Technologies, Inc. (formerly Automated Weather Source) that changed its name to Earth Networks, Inc. in 2012 says it is adware (not spyware), but perfectly safe to use. The older version of WeatherBug 6 and yet older versions before that did require a high amount of resources 8 years ago and earlier. I also notice at the time I was receiving routine malware infections with my prior windows operating systems. I used it back with version 6 and older versions with my desktop computer and I did see my computer slow down considerably. There were 2 versions, Free (ad supported) and Plus (paid without ads and more features).  I have used both paid and free versions, usually with the free version fine enough for me to use in later years.

Now, with the newer version of WeatherBug (free version, version 10) I recently installed, it seems to run a lot faster and smoother and I love the even the basic features. It is more Windows 10 design-like in terms of graphical interface and I like it. So, like I usually do, I ran my well-known reliable HitMan Pro.Alert malware program and it discovered many WeatherBug files and file data, and even registry keys it found and asked me to delete them after the manual run scan. I do not know what to do? Should I remove the new version WeatherBug 10? Does it represent any potential harm to my computer now that it has been redesigned and re-programmed from the older version 6 years ago? Honestly, I like it and I hate to uninstall it “completely” using specific ordered steps; but if it represents a serious threat to my computer(s) THAT I DO NOT SEE RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND, I will have to remove it!

Please reply with opinions and advice.

Thank you!     

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2018 - 07:35 AM.
Moved from Am I Infected to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users