Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Delete a Folder

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ac98521

ac98521

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

I've already given myself "Modified"Admin Access even though I am an admin. Attached File  admin.PNG   19.35KB   1 downloads

I also tried CMD, but it didn't work. I've attached the pics.Attached File  cmd.PNG   10.87KB   1 downloads

Please tell me the reason why this happens in Win 10? is there anyway to FORCE delete this folder and subcontents?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:05 PM

I've already given myself "Modified"Admin Access even though I am an admin. attachicon.gifadmin.PNG

I also tried CMD, but it didn't work. I've attached the pics.attachicon.gifcmd.PNG

Please tell me the reason why this happens in Win 10? is there anyway to FORCE delete this folder and subcontents?

I have a tool on my computer call "Take Ownership". It gives you power to ownership of folder, so that you can delete or whatever you want with it. 

Here is an article about it : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Its works for all windows operating systems XP Vista 7 8 8.1 & 10

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

You might have to boot a Puppy Linux usb or dvd and use its file manager to delete that pesky folder.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Mallues

Mallues

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

It's possible that certain file of that folder is being used by the system. You can use the unlocker tool to look which process is accessing that folder or files inside it.

#5 ac98521

ac98521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:23 PM

I've already given myself "Modified"Admin Access even though I am an admin. attachicon.gifadmin.PNG

I also tried CMD, but it didn't work. I've attached the pics.attachicon.gifcmd.PNG

I have a tool on my computer call "Take Ownership". It gives you power to ownership of folder, so that you can delete or whatever you want with it. 

Here is an article about it : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Its works for all windows operating systems XP Vista 7 8 8.1 & 10

didn't work Attached File  take ownership.PNG   52.07KB   2 downloads

even unlocker didn't Attached File  unlocker.PNG   31.76KB   1 downloads

Anything else?

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:38 PM

Will this link help? :)

http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2014/01/folder-access-denied-delete-folder-windows/

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:37 AM

You might have to boot a Puppy Linux usb or dvd and use its file manager to delete that pesky folder.

Has the above idea been tried?

And, another poster suggested making sure that folder is not being used by any program, I assumed you already checked.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

I am assuming this game is present in your Steam Library. Log into your Steam account and right click the game, select Uninstall. Logout of the Steam account then try to delete the folder if it still exits.

If you have already done the above then use linux as RolandJS suggested.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 February 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#9 ac98521

ac98521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:09 PM

I would like everyone to know that I have solved the problem by deleting the file in safe mode. But can you help me identify what was the problem?

I am assuming this game is present in your Steam Library. Log into your Steam account and right click the game, select Uninstall. Logout of the Steam account then try to delete the folder if it still exits.

If you have already done the above then use linux as RolandJS suggested.

This occured after uninstalling steam. I copy pasted the contents of "steamapps" folder to another before deleting the one inside "steam" so I don't have to re-download the games (dota 2).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users