Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI BIOS update prevents boot with keyboard

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mholden020

mholden020

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

Hello,

I just attempted to update the BIOS on my MSI 870S-G46 to cure a few nagging issues and it's produced a doozy: The computer will no longer boot with a keyboard installed.

Prior to the issue, I installed the latest motherboard USB drivers (keyboard worked perfectly after this), then updated the BIOS. On reboot, the computer hangs at "Initializing USB Devices..." if a keyboard is plugged in. If anything else is plugged in, it's fine.

I called MSI and they were useless, so I began the normal steps to reset the BIOS. I first switched the reset jumper for 15 seconds which did nothing. I've currently got the CMOS battery removed and will leave it that way for a bit. If this fails, I will try a PS/2 keyboard to try to access the BIOS. Beyond that I'm out of ideas. Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

When resetting the BIOS it resets the current settings to default, it does not revert to a previous BIOS version.

If I was you I'd try re-installing/updating the BIOS again. Sometimes there is a Windows application you can use to update the BIOS, but failing that you will have to find a PS2 adapter.

Edited by TsVk!, 03 February 2017 - 04:19 PM.

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

The PS2 keyboard would be my first step.

#4 mholden020

mholden020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:35 PM

The PS2 keyboard would be my first step.

The PS/2 keyboard did work, and I was able to get in and flash the BIOS.  However, the same problem still exists where any USB keyboard will cause the computer to lock up during the boot sequence.  I've tried all of the plugs for the keyboard, all result in the boot stopping at "Initializing USB Controllers".  Curiously, it's only keyboards that cause the problem, as it will boot normally with a mouse, game controllers, external Hard Drive, and USB hub plugged in.

I've currently gotten around this issue by booting without the keyboard plugged in, waiting for Windows to settle on the desktop, and then plugging in the keyboard.  After that, it works perfectly fine and I'm typing this post on one of the keyboards that were causing the issue.  I found a couple of topics on the internet with people having the same issue, but none that were solved yet.  

Part of me is starting to wonder if the USB drivers I installed prior to the initial BIOS update could be causing a bit of an issue.  The BIOS version I'm on right now is different from the one I installed initially, which I did in an effort to see if it produced the same result, which it did.  This leads me to believe that it may not be resting solely on the motherboard itself, but I would welcome anyone to tell me I'm wrong and help me get pointed in the right direction.  :)

For now, the trick to boot with no keyboard is working well enough, and I have the PS/2 keyboard tucked away in the event I need to change something, but I would love for it all to work properly.  Thanks for the help so far, if anyone has any more suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

Can you try the system with another known good PSU? It's a long shot, but I once had a system in for repair with that exact symptom. The PSU had a weak capacitor on the standby 5V supply that was putting noise on the USB controller and it failed to boot with a USB keyboard or mouse (varied). PS/2 connection was not similarly affected.

Why it would do it after a BIOS update isn't clear, but difference in handling the wake states or something might do it, or pure coincidence...

Anyway, it's one possibility to eliminate, if another PSU cured it then it's problem solved, if not then you know it's not that.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 mholden020

mholden020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

Can you try the system with another known good PSU? It's a long shot, but I once had a system in for repair with that exact symptom. The PSU had a weak capacitor on the standby 5V supply that was putting noise on the USB controller and it failed to boot with a USB keyboard or mouse (varied). PS/2 connection was not similarly affected.

Why it would do it after a BIOS update isn't clear, but difference in handling the wake states or something might do it, or pure coincidence...

Anyway, it's one possibility to eliminate, if another PSU cured it then it's problem solved, if not then you know it's not that.

I can indeed, and it definitely couldn't hurt to try!  My best friend just had a catastrophic hard drive failure recently, I'll try to steal his power supply before he gets a replacement drive.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:12 PM

I'm not sure this is your problem but is USB Legacy support enabled in BIOS?

#8 mholden020

mholden020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

I'm not sure this is your problem but is USB Legacy support enabled in BIOS?

Yes it is.  I also attempted to boot with it disabled and arrived at the same result.  :(

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:37 AM

I'm assuming you swapped out a different USB keyboard and also tried all ports? I did some searching on the error and was wondering if you have a card reader? Does the motherboard use front USB ports? If it does is is possible to disconnect them and use only the back ports during boot?

#10 mholden020

mholden020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

I'm assuming you swapped out a different USB keyboard and also tried all ports? I did some searching on the error and was wondering if you have a card reader? Does the motherboard use front USB ports? If it does is is possible to disconnect them and use only the back ports during boot?

I did attempt to boot the computer with only an "offending" keyboard plugged into one of the USB ports, and I tried to boot for each of the ports on the back of the computer.  I do not have a card reader plugged in, but I have these things plugged in, along with details just in case someone makes a connection with that:

- Keyboard (Razer BlackWidow and standard-issue HP keyboard have caused boot failures)
- Mouse (Razer Deathadder)
- Game Controller (Fanatec CSL Elite pedals)
- USB 2.0 Hub (4-port, "Mobil IT" logo)

- External Hard Drive (Eagle Consus enclosure, WD 500gb Green drive)

Of those five (technically six, including the HP board), only the Keyboards have caused boot issues and it's limited to only keyboards.  Front USB ports are disconnected and have never been connected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users