Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete noob with router problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 qportx

qportx

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

Hi everybody,

Im located in spain, with orange being my internet. We have fiber optic and we have been given "livebox 2.1" router.

Now, i need the coverage to reach one specific room that is located at the end of the apartment (its a small apartment). The room is about 12 meters from the router. The livebox router doesnt even have antenas and i am pretty sure its coverage is pretty poor. 

For that reason i got me a tp-link TL-WR940N, which is a budget router but it had great reviews and i thought it should definitely be enough for what i needed. I am such a retard that i could not replace the original livebox with the new router. The quick setup wizard did not work, it failed identifying whether I have static or dynamic IP etc. Ive tried playing around but I just didnt manage to set it right.

What i somehow accomplished is that i've connected the original livebox router, then connected the new tp-link router to the LIVEBOX via LAN port, went to the admin panel of the tp-link and did quick setup wizard again (i guess this time it took the config from the livebox?) and it worked, i choose to clone MAC, i set up wireless network (ssid, password) and suddenly had two wifi networks that i can connect to.

I guess thats a success, now tot he problem.

When im on computer in this room I am trying to ping google via terminal (im on mac) or via an app i downloaded that keeps pinging all the time. And i get great ping here and there but its constantly falling down. Sometimes it doesnt drop for a few minutes, sometimes its dropped for a few minutes. 

Now i thought i would buy a USB wifi antena to get more reception but this IT guy i found told me that its pointless; that if I am already getting 30 ping here and there. He said its the configuration that is troubling. Is that true? is it true that if im getting good pings that means the coverage is definitely there, but its badly configured and therefore I am getting the drops?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

Try changing the WiFi channels on both the routers to something else. I use a android wifi app to see what everyone elses routers are on and switch up or down a couple channels. SSID and passphrase needs to be same for both routers. Not sure what the IT guys was talking about you have setup a access point. Just that the main router/modem combo is probably a very poor wifi router. I like external antenna as turning them vertical and partially horizontal does help direct the beam further through walls and things.

#3 qportx

qportx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:53 PM

now i was told that the router i bought is useless for me and the way i did it is messing up the signal even more.

I was told i need to return it and buy an access point device. 

The problem is that the internet cable is located only in one place, exactly where my main router is at atm.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

Don't always believe what you are told on the internet.  This person advising you doesn't know about using routers as APs.

There is nothing wrong with using the router you have as a wifi switch.  You started off correctly by connecting it via a lan port to the first router.

Here is a guide for you to follow:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/3001-connecting-additional-routers/

Now this guide does assume a wired connection between routers.  If you want a wireless connection you would need a wireless bridge/extender or you would look into powerline products.

BTW only wifi channels 1, 6 and 11 are non conflicting.  Those are the ones you want to use if at all possible.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 04 February 2017 - 07:52 PM.

#5 qportx

qportx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

Wand3r3r thanks so much for your reply!

I was told my original router does not support wireless connection, so the extender would have to be connected with a cable.

My question is, would it make a difference to have two routers at the same place? As I have said, i only have one place in my apartment with internet :/

Would i have to switch the wireless of the first router off? 

I will definitely have a look at the link you sent me, i hope i will be able to configure it myself :/

Thanks!

EDIT:

Before i do anything, would it make sense to just turn off the wireless of my original router, connect the TP link with the original router via LAN port and just set a wireless with the TP link?

Edited by qportx, 05 February 2017 - 08:54 AM.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

"I was told my original router does not support wireless connection"

I search on livebox router and they all appear to be wifi enabled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Livebox

Again this person advising you is missing some information.  Only the device you want to connect to the livebox router has to have wifi extending or bridging capability.  The livebox router just sees it as another wifi connection.

Q1: would it make a difference to have two routers at the same place?

If you need better/more coverage two routers can do that for you. 

Q2: Would i have to switch the wireless of the first router off?

Not if you don't want to.  Depends on coverage.  If you don't need it sure then shut if off.

Q3: and just set a wireless with the TP link?

You can but I take the tack of get everything working and then scale back.

#7 qportx

qportx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:57 AM

"I was told my original router does not support wireless connection"

I search on livebox router and they all appear to be wifi enabled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Livebox

Again this person advising you is missing some information.  Only the device you want to connect to the livebox router has to have wifi extending or bridging capability.  The livebox router just sees it as another wifi connection.

Q1: would it make a difference to have two routers at the same place?

If you need better/more coverage two routers can do that for you. 

Q2: Would i have to switch the wireless of the first router off?

Not if you don't want to.  Depends on coverage.  If you don't need it sure then shut if off.

Q3: and just set a wireless with the TP link?

You can but I take the tack of get everything working and then scale back.

Okay so i did the above, the wifi of the original router was turned off so the wifi i got had to be coming from the TP link. It worked, but the coverage was terrible, maybe even worse than the original router, that takes me to the conclusion that the original router ain't that bad, i guess the wall between the router and the hall is way too thick.

I wanted to try WDS with the tp link however my original router does not support the WDS function.

So im about to buy the wall plug that repeats the wifi signal. I hope its gonna help, also i heard there is a wall socket device that doesnt work via air (wifi signal) but rather via electric plug? is that real? does that work with any router or?

thanks

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

If wifi has a hard time going thru the wall WDS is not for you.

You don't want a plug in wifi repeater either.  If the router/AP didn't work neither will it. 

You do want the powerline adapters which use your electrical wiring as network wiring. A powerline connected to the router and one in the room you want wifi

Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Powerline-Starter-300Mbps-Wireless/dp/B00HSQAIQU/ref=pd_sim_147_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QGYP0GT1YAKX78X1GKCA

This assumes your unit/location is on one electrical panel

Edited by Wand3r3r, 06 February 2017 - 11:47 AM.

#9 qportx

qportx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

If wifi has a hard time going thru the wall WDS is not for you.

You don't want a plug in wifi repeater either.  If the router/AP didn't work neither will it. 

You do want the powerline adapters which use your electrical wiring as network wiring. A powerline connected to the router and one in the room you want wifi

Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Powerline-Starter-300Mbps-Wireless/dp/B00HSQAIQU/ref=pd_sim_147_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QGYP0GT1YAKX78X1GKCA

This assumes your unit/location is on one electrical panel

you are the man. Ill be searching for PLC then.

thanks for everything!

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

Happy to help :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users