Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ABud

ABud

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

Hi. Recently my windows 7 x64 has not been able to connect to the Internet on boot up although the Network and Sharing Centre says I have a good connection to my wireless network and that I have Internet access. I have been able to get things working by running netsh winsock reset and restarting my pc but today this stopped working. Any thoughts?

I'm running Windows 7 x64, use a TP-LINK AC600 USB wireless adapter and have Avast and Zone alarm (both free versions) running.

Thanks,

Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

Can you connect by disabling Zone Alarm and avast? Is there a model number other than AC600 on the device?

#3 ABud

ABud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:15 AM

The wireless adapter model number is Archer T2U

I uninstalled Zonealarm and now internet access is back, so thanks! Very strange that Zonealarm should go wrong, I've been using it for years - can you recommend another free firewall that works well?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:24 AM

Personally, I don't use a third party firewall for the exact reason of your problem. The firewall in Windows 7 is fine for me, especially if you learn it's advanced mode. I never had a problem with an infection using it's default settings. The only other free firewall I am familiar with is Comodo. 

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

Free firewalls that I have used and recommend:

> Private Firewall

>Panda Firewall

These are free; a couple of features I need in a firewall are ability to block outgoing packets, a Right-click shell entry to scan downloaded files for viruses before opening and installing and no nag screens. Panda has an ad screen, but you can turn it off.
 Oddly, I had your experience with Private Firewall, which is a product I really like.  I started getting random BSODs until Whocrashed pointed to Private Firewall as the cause. I switched to Panda and no more crashes. I will try it again in the future, it's a darn good firewall but was conflicting with something in my case. I don't think this is a general problem with users.

I will just also say that I used Comodo Firewall for years and was a big fan; then they "improved" it, and made blocking outgoing packets so complicated that it was almost impossible to use. Then I discovered that Comodo had integrated itself into my operating system so thoroughly that when I attempted to delete it, it broke my internet connection. I went back and forth with their tech forum, and nobody could help. Others on the forum also had the same problem. So....I ended up reinstalling my operating system and programs, just to get rid of Comodo. So....I do not recommend it any more.

Too bad, actually. Many of these firewalls attempt to also incorporate anti-virus features and I think they start tripping over their own technology.

There is also Glasswire free firewall; I have not tested it yet, but it looks like worth a try. Supposed to be free.

I think Avira still has a free firewall (not sure) and I used to use it, but their nag screens became very aggressive, much like a virus, and even tweaking the permissions values did not work (don't ask me how!) so I cut them loose.

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 February 2017 - 09:35 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

You should not run two antivirus applications.  You shouldn't even have two antivirus applications installed on the same computer.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 ABud

ABud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

I also have malwarebytes on the pc so would you suggest I remove that and just run Avast with windows firewall?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

Malwarebytes should run fine with an antivirus.  If you are using the free version there is nothing to worry about. From what I understand they have a paid version that replaces an antivirus program but can also run alongside an antivirus. 

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2016/12/announcing-malwarebytes-3-0-a-next-generation-antivirus-replacement/

#9 ABud

ABud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:12 AM

Problems returned frustratingly, with Avast and Zonealarm uninstalled. Any more ideas? I'm not completely against reinstalling windows...

Just to be clear, occasionally the Internet connection works properly but most of the time it doesn't.

Edited by ABud, 05 February 2017 - 07:03 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,430 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

I was thinking of reinstalling your driver.

According to Wikidevi the USB dongle uses a MT7610U Ralink chipset but I could not find a driver yet. It seems the driver page at Mediatek shows a Windows driver but it's actually for Apple's OS. 

You can also try resetting your Winsock and TCP/IP stack with the following commands. I will continue to look for a driver.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

#11 ABud

ABud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:50 AM

I've been using the TCP/IP and Winsock resets and it usually works to restore connectivity. The USB dongle itself came with a driver on DVD so that should be ok no? Windows say's the driver is up to date when I check.

Edited by ABud, 05 February 2017 - 08:51 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,430 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

It may be that the dongle itself is the problem. If the chipset is in the linux kernel you can download linux mint cinnamon 18.1, burn the iso to DVD, and see if a wifi signal is detected. If you can connect to the internet without a problem then I would say it's something in Windows. The linux disk would run off your DVD and RAM.

If the driver is up to date I am not sure if reinstall will help but you have the disk then uninstall the USB dongle in device manager and reinstall the driver unless you can do this it using uninstall in Control Panel. 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,430 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

You can find a later driver at Tp-links site. I'm still asleep. I should have checked there first. 

http://www.tp-link.com/us/download/Archer-T2U.html#Driver

Published Date
19/10/16
Language
English
File Size
47.29 MB

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

Malwarebytes should run fine with an antivirus.  If you are using the free version there is nothing to worry about. From what I understand they have a paid version that replaces an antivirus program but can also run alongside an antivirus.

The Malwarebytes 2.2.1 is the antimalware of which there is a paid version which is active.  Since it is active it is constantly watching for malware when ever the computer is running.

The Malwarebytes 3.0 is an antivirus.  Malwarebytes 3.0 combines their Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit, and Anti-Ransomware which can be run along with any antivirus.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:24 AM

As JohnC_21 suggested, this could be your dongle.  I have a small collection of dongles which have failed.  I would try this dongle with another computer to see if it fails there as well.  If this is the case I would purchase another dongle.  They are not very expensive, you can purchase one from Newegg for around $10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users