Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager Shows 2 Out Of 4 Cores

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DerekJeder

DerekJeder

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

My Asus Q552U laptop has only been showing 2 cores out of it's quad core in task manager. It has a quad core i7 6500 cpu. I've checked my computer's settings to make sure all 4 cores are enabled, my system information and drivers show 4 functioning cores, What's more, my UEFI Bios doesn't have an options for controlling cores. I tried uninstalling all 4 processor drives and using my integrated graphics, then restarting and it didn't help. I haven't been able to find any solution that will make all 4 cores show up in task manager. I appreciate any help you guys can give me :) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

i7-6500U is dual core CPU.

#3 DerekJeder

DerekJeder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

i7-6500U is dual core CPU.

You know, that might explain it XD I feel dumb now. Is there a reason why It says I have 4 processor drivers and 4 running processors in my system information, or is that a glitch or something? 

Edit: Nvm, it doesn't say 4 cores, it says 2 cores and 4 processors. But I still want to know why I have 4 drivers installed if you don't mind 

Edited by DerekJeder, 03 February 2017 - 02:00 PM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

It has 2 physical cores and 2 logical cores, that's 4 "total processors". That's why you have 4 drivers installed.

#5 DerekJeder

DerekJeder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:07 PM

It has 2 physical cores and 2 logical cores, that's 4 "total processors". That's why you have 4 drivers installed.

Ah, thank you! 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

FWIW:  I think your confusion arose from the fact that you seem to think that physical components are the only items for which "drivers" are necessary.  Not at all true...your AV program, your firewall, your video-editing program and various other non-hardware items...all use/need drivers.  That includes logical cores.

Louis

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:26 PM

Processors equipped to run two independent threads per core use a technology called Simultaneous Multi Threading (SMT). Intel calls their implementation Hyper-Threading:

http://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology.html

Each core has two execution units which share other processing resources, giving a useful performance improvement with the right applications. To use Hyper-Threading, the OS has to be operating in SMP (Symmetric Multi Processing) mode, which utilizes a driver for each execution unit, and Task Manager shows you the operating parameters of each processing unit.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users