Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSODS, Freezing, programs not responding.

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

Let's wait for your new motherboard and see what happens. In the mean time, I'd put your GPU on another slot.

Regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#62 KitoKai

KitoKai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

Hey bwv!

My bad didn't realise you replied! and the computer has been running just fine for the last few months! 

although... i recently put a new cpu into the computer i got it for a good price, The motherboard is still the same, the motherboard is an M4A78LT-M LE, as i can't get a new one yet.

Cpu is a AMD Phenom ii x4 955(Deneb). it was working just fine, i underclocked it a bit since i'm using a stock cooler until i can get a better one. And it was getting a bit hot, been using it for a couple weeks now and all has been perfectly well! a couple days ago i decided to paint my case, After it was done painting i put the computer back together, And for some reason. after a few minutes of gaming..it will shut off, sometimes it's a BSOD and i think sometimes it just shuts off (little bit unsure because my monitor goes black if it's a BSOD so i can't tell the difference, but i noticed that i don't have as many DMP files as i should!) So i'm attaching the DMP file for the latest crash, It's bcc 124 so i'm assuming it's hardware and since i just removed all the components and put them back it seems to be the most likely, Oh last time it shut off i heard one of the fans going a lot faster even though the tempature seems within reason (CPU and GPU), anyways hoping that you'll be able to solve it! Thanks in advance, bwv!

Attached Files

Edited by KitoKai, 26 July 2017 - 06:58 PM.

#63 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:39 AM

Dear KitoKai,

0x124s typically mean unknown hardware failure (usually involving the CPU), even though it has been proven that some software has been the cause (such as MSI Afterburner). With that said, I would suggest you uninstall MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner Statistics Server (again).

How are you overclocking your CPU? Through the BIOS?

Since these BSODs only occurred after you rebuilt your computer, it's most likely a hardware issue. Can you reseat your CPU cooler and ensure ALL wires are firmly attached and connected correctly?

Best regards,
bwv848

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#64 KitoKai

KitoKai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

Hey bwv!
I uninstalled both.
I am underclocking via BIOS. I simply lowered the cpu multiplier and the voltage, i played around with the voltage a bit. Anyways i reseated the cpu cooler (and re-pasted it) i rebooted and within about 1 minute of startup was greeted by a new BSOD a 7f. i tried rebooting. And it was fine, i tried clicking around to see if i could recreate it by opening up the same program(core temp) but no BSOD, huh so i started up overwatch to see if it would bsod with a 124 like last time, all was well no issues and running very cool (41c compared to 51-58 before) no problems until it froze and instantly heard the post noise from the case speaker. But the screen was still frozen on my desktop, a bit confused i shut it off and tried booting it back up just to see if it would post and to get my .dmp file to you, My pc refused to post. So i removed one of the ram sticks, that i thought i may have put a bit of pressure on accidently while installing the motherboard into the IO Shield. Sure enough it posted. I tested it on overwatch and no BSODS or crashes. I played 2 games and then it started to crash again... I'm a bit confused as to why this is happening...i'll get you the .dmp in a bit as i'm currently posting from my phone.

Thanks!

Edited by KitoKai, 27 July 2017 - 03:43 PM.

#65 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

Hi, KitoKai,

Wow, good troubleshooting. Seems like your RAM is the cause. Have you run MemTest86 yet? I would suggest you start off by testing each of your RAM sticks separately for eight passes, then putting them back in one by one and re-running MemTest86.

Regards,

bwv848

#66 KitoKai

KitoKai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

Hey! I have just completed eight passes of memtest on the first stick of ram, no errors. I also forgot to mention that when it crashed earlier i had a different 4gb stick of ram in my computer in the slot i just removed one from, im going to run memtest a little later today on the last stick, as i have some work to do on my PC. I will update you then! Thanks for your help!

#67 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for letting me know! :)

Looking forward to the update.

Regards,

bwv848

#68 KitoKai

KitoKai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:13 PM

Hey bwv
Ran memtest on both sticks separately, did eight passes each, No errors, i have only one stick in at the moment and am going to test to see if i BSOD.

Update: Got another BSOD 124 again, any ideas? Also why would the fans be spinning up? As soon as it crashes i hear a fan spinning up.

Edited by KitoKai, 29 July 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#69 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:46 PM

Hi, KitoKai,

Am I correct to say that the temps are okay prior to the crash? My best guess would be an overheating issue with the CPU (causing the fans to spin up) or something like that. Is it possible to put in your old CPU and see whether if the computer still crashes? It could just be a faulty new CPU after all, and in that case you could get a refund/replacement.

Regards,

bwv848

#70 KitoKai

KitoKai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:39 PM

Hey bwv!
Yes the tempatures are fine, cpu is below 55c, gpu (GTX 660 ti) at about 70c is what the last crash was at.. I can try my old cpu tomorrow, although: it worked without flaw for about 2 weeks, and after i rebuilt my pc i experienced these problems. After some testing i just did cause of a hunch.. It didn't crash when playing in windowed mode. I played three games, on the fourth game i went into borderless windowed (takes up whole screen) and within one game i crashed. I rebooted and kept it in windowed mode and played for 2 hours no crashes, I think the gpu may be the culprit perhaps in full screen it uses more gpu, and for whatever reason it crashes would that explain the black screen instead of a blue screen?.. Just a hunch, what do you think?

Edit : Gpu stress test causes the crashes within 2 minutes.
Edit 2 : Installed msi afterburner to set custom fan curve to prevent my gpu from getting hotter than 62c,i did 20 minutes of stress testing and no crash.

Edited by KitoKai, 30 July 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#71 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:29 PM

Hmm... not exactly sure what's going on here. Theoretically a 0x124 bugcheck indicates a CPU fault, but nowadays I am quite doubtful about this even (it's probably best described as "unknown hardware failure"), so we could consider the graphics card a potential culprit, especially looking at the way the stress tests have gone.

Is your graphics card really getting sufficient cooling? Is it clogged with dust? Can you try putting it on another slot (not sure whether if I mentioned this before)?

Let's run Prime95: http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html#prime95 ? How does the CPU behave, does it overheat?

Best regards,

bwv848

#72 KitoKai

KitoKai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

Hey bwv845!
I've had this gpu for 1 year (used) re pasted it as soon as i got it, and ran it at 60-75c perfectly fine until now,it is crashing at 70c,it isn't clogged with dust cause i took an air compressor and blew out all my components when i had my computer disassembled. So dust isn't an issue and it wouldn't explain why it's just now starting to crash... To the best of my knowledge i was very gentle with my parts when they were out of the case (set gpu fan-side down on a towel) as for moving it to a different slot, unfortunately not an option, i only have one PCI-E X16 slot. So can't do that. I will run P95 tomorrow and update you then, and for now it appears i'm crash-free!

Update: ran P95 for about 20 minutes (all i have had time for) and no issues!

Edited by KitoKai, 31 July 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#73 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

Glad to hear that! Since you don't have any issues at the moment, let leave everything as it is.

#74 KitoKai

KitoKai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

Hey bwv
Will do! Although is there any reason that you know of why my gpu is crashing/overheating at only 70-72c?
Thanks!

Edited by KitoKai, 01 August 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#75 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

Hi, KitoKai,

Really I'm not sure. Could either be software (drivers) or hardware. Problem is that graphics card drivers have become so complicated (and so strange) that it's really hard to tell what's going on. Are your BIOS and chipset drivers fully updated? Since your PSU is new, it shouldn't be a problem, but are the voltages in the BIOS okay (take a picture if you're unsure how to read them)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users