Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any 16GB RAM that can do non-overclocked DDR-2400 JEDEC besides Kingston ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

With the current system that I'm building, I don't want to run RAM in overclocked/XMP mode. I've heard it can potentially trigger undesirable (for me) side effects like permanent CPU turbo boosting and other heat/power implications that I don't want to deal with -- I don't want to do any overclocking at all with this system.

For example, the I7-7700K supports DDR4-2400 without overclocking. An example motherboard like the ASRock Z270 SuperCarrier can handle DDR4-2400 without overclocking. The Kingston HyperX Fury DDR-2400 16GB can do DDR4-2400 out of the box, without overclocking, as a standard JEDEC/PnP profile:

http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX424C15FB_16.pdf

Has anyone come across any other RAM that can do DDR-2400 with its JEDEC profile, without overclocking?

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2017 - 03:01 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:44 AM

You probably heard wrong about those problems. As for example permanent CPU turbo boosting is a feature, not overclocking.

Virtually any DDR4-2400 can do 2400 MHz @ 1.35V as many can do DDR4-2400 speeds @ 1.2V. So there is no any need for JEDEC profiles or similar. So basically you can forget all about that.

I suggest you post here system you are buying and we'll see if there is something wrong.

#3 kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

Sorry, but I see things differently regarding permanent (as opposed to dynamic) turbo boosting. And yes, I know that turbo boosting is not the same as overclocking. But there can be subtle gotchas there too. For example, I strongly prefer not having to deal with a situation like this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1603927/xmp-enabled-on-gigabyte-gaming-7-overclocks-cpu

I've seen other posts of this kind of thing happening (and worse) with other motherboards as well.

With this system, I've spec'ed out the be quiet Pure Rock Slim as the CPU cooler. I chose it because it's particularly light and quiet, and can handle 120W TDP. The i7-7700K's TDP is 91W, which should be ample margin. What I don't want is to have the CPU be unpredictably overclocked unbeknownst to me, or even running at its turbo boost speed all the time. Rather, I very much want to take advantage of the 7700K's stock capability to handle DDR4-2400, which is presumably within its 91W TDP.

I don't mind going with the Kingston HyperX Fury RAM if it's the only one out there that meets this requirement. Just wanted to cast out and see if there might be other options that I'm missing.

Edited by kartik_subbarao, 03 February 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

Same post, different website.

#5 kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:05 PM

Yes. I'm reaching out to multiple forums with likely different readerships. Hopefully this will increase the possibility of getting a response from someone who can answer my question.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:05 PM

Sorry, but I see things differently regarding permanent (as opposed to dynamic) turbo boosting. And yes, I know that turbo boosting is not the same as overclocking. But there can be subtle gotchas there too. For example, I strongly prefer not having to deal with a situation like this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1603927/xmp-enabled-on-gigabyte-gaming-7-overclocks-cpu

I've seen other posts of this kind of thing happening (and worse) with other motherboards as well.

Everything seems to be OK on situation described on that thread. It is very easy for them to prove something IS wrong. Instead they THINK something is wrong and fail to prove it. So everything is in order. Forget everything written on that thread and move along.

With this system, I've spec'ed out the be quiet Pure Rock Slim as the CPU cooler. I chose it because it's particularly light and quiet, and can handle 120W TDP. The i7-7700K's TDP is 91W, which should be ample margin. What I don't want is to have the CPU be unpredictably overclocked unbeknownst to me, or even running at its turbo boost speed all the time. Rather, I very much want to take advantage of the 7700K's stock capability to handle DDR4-2400, which is presumably within its 91W TDP.

Even AMD stock cooler can "handle" 125W TDP CPU, but not very quietly. So forget "can handle XXX TDP" when selecting cooler. Not to say that cooler is bad.

CPU runs on turbo boost speed if power, temps and load are OK. It's automatic and CPU works as intended. Again you are making problem from something that is not problem.

91W TDP takes turbo into account.

I don't mind going with the Kingston HyperX Fury RAM if it's the only one out there that meets this requirement. Just wanted to cast out and see if there might be other options that I'm missing.

Once again, virtually every DDR4-2400 is equally good as that Kingston.

As for other parts, I recommend waiting for Ryzen. Launch and availability early March. Ryzen will have soldered heatspreader, while Intel has toothpaste solution. That works like a crap.

Yes. I'm reaching out to multiple forums with likely different readerships. Hopefully this will increase the possibility of getting a response from someone who can answer my question.

You already have it here. There is no that kind of problem you are talking about.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 03 February 2017 - 03:06 PM.

#7 kartik_subbarao

kartik_subbarao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

We seem to be on different wavelengths regarding what matters and what doesn't matter on this topic :-) In any case, I appreciate the time you've taken to share your perspective.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:55 PM

Well, it's somewhat hard to explain that you are trying to solve a problem that isn't a problem.

So basically I'm trying to say that you should forget about this "problem" because it isn't a problem but normal behaviour so you are trying to say normal behaviour is problem.

Somewhat hard sentence but anyway.

#9 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

NT

Edited by Zone_86, 04 February 2017 - 07:10 PM.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

All i know on the heat sink topic is the only thing that matters is TDP + rise above ambient temp, saying a heat sink is made for 95TDP means nothing seeing as the cpu in question might have a heat limit of 60c or 100c, as for the main problem just turn everything off that has to do with auto overclocking/tuning anything and lock all settings at what you want em in your bios.

As well theirs more to ram then just I/O bus speed, pushing on the mhz and at the same time ending up with crap timings ends up being the same thing with slower memory in mgz with tight timings depending on what were trying to do with the ram so just don't look at memory in mgz, its the wrong way to go about it.

Hole topic of mgz is a lie when it comes to ram in any case, just look at ddr1 400mgz, its really 200mgz and anywhere you look at the memory in the real world you will never find 400mgz anything, all the ram past that is the same thing, as well ddr vs sdr was only ever like 30% faster not 2x like the mgz is trying to say, why is that ?

latency.

Noob auto overclocking anything apps or bios settings that kick in on demand or rose just kick in depending on hardware added to a computer are a fast way to brake things if they ever kick in and or are selected by a end user that dousen't have a clue what their doing with their hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users