Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learn Java

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:26 PM

anyone know of a place that gives you assignments for java where its kinda like an online course, and someone tells you what the assignment is, some simple things to keep in mind, and when your done you send it to get checked, and then move on to the next level up assignment? i know they have on at javaranch, unfortuneatly you have to pay $$ to sign up for this but i don't have much $$ :thumbsup:
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:16 PM

Up until now, I didn't realize that The Cattle Drive was a pay venture.

There are tons of different thigs that one can do for programming exercises. For instanse, you could modify your conversion programs to use a GUI to take in the amount to be converted instead of just iterating through a loop like you have been doing.

You have done nothing with using methods and parameter passing so far, nothing with data structures, etc. I'm trying to remember some of my early exercises... Take a user input string and display it reversed; Display a simple JFrame, etc. I can come up with a bunch of different exercises that you don't have to pay for.

#3 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:02 PM

indeed i havent done much. and i learn though doing very well, and so i need some sort of structure to what to learn, and what to work on. im interested in gui and so on, i have no clue how do to that or where to even start! im trying to go through a book i have borrowed from library and to look up things on net to help understand book, and try and immerse myself in coding to learn better.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#4 spywarequakeisTHEDEVIL

spywarequakeisTHEDEVIL

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:05 PM

Well if you actually want to learn java then im not exactly sure but I just started taking a beginner java class and right now we're using a program called ALICE by carnegie mellon? Its a simplistic 3d world creator where you drag and drop commands. Then we're moving on to jbird.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:18 PM

What sort of applications are you writing with that? I am sort of curious as to how drag and drop will teach you proper syntax and programming? I'm not demeaning how you are being taught since there are tons of ways to learn programming. I am just curious as to what you are being taught. Is this a college level course?

I found ALICE, but I couldn't find a link to JBird.

#6 spywarequakeisTHEDEVIL

spywarequakeisTHEDEVIL

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:53 PM

Nooooo its not college level! It's an ENTRY level java course (high school elective)

I guess its just learning the concept of problem-solving and how to create actions and accomplish a goal. We're given scenarios and we have to duplicate them using our own "code" even though the commands are preset. So its more the problem solving aspect of java rather than the coding.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:13 PM

I had suspected that it was not a college level course, but I didn't want to assume and potentially insult you. :thumbsup:

#8 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:13 AM

Hello there. First of all, I don't know any interactive learning pages, but if you want to try on your own, you could go to sun's java tutorial and then try to self teach you. Also, a good page with examples is java almanac

if you know how to program in C++ or C# already Ithink it would be an easy step to Java. If not, try to learn carefully the basics, because it not hard once you know them well.

GL mate!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users