Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Family member interrupted reformatting process

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ttblj

ttblj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:06 AM

I was reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows 7 and a family member tried to use the computer.  I'm not sure where in the process it was, but now it says "An Operating System wasn't found.  Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system."

I have licensed ISO file installation disks (I think I'm saying that right) for Windows 7 and 10, and I even tried using a Windows Vista disk out of desperation, but I still get the same response.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2017 - 08:40 AM.
Moved from System Building to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

Delete the existing partition (assuming that there is only the one you created when trying to reformat/reintall) and try a new install effort.

Louis

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

You need to jump into the BIOS (some computers require hitting delete, some F12, some F9, etc; read the initial text msgs it displays upon power on), and set the boot option order to include the CD/DVD drive/or USB, depending on where your new Windows ISO is located...; it sounds as if your current system is still trying to boot from the hard drive, which is likely now missing it's OS. (Different bootable DVDs/CDs/USBs will be ignored if your boot option is set to only to Hard Drive

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

You need to jump into the BIOS (some computers require hitting delete, some F12, some F9, etc; read the initial text msgs it displays upon power on), and set the boot option order to include the CD/DVD drive/or USB, depending on where your new Windows ISO is located...; it sounds as if your current system is still trying to boot from the hard drive, which is likely now missing it's OS. (Different bootable DVDs/CDs/USBs will be ignored if your boot option is set to only to Hard Drive

They obviously had the boot order in the BIOS set properly to boot from the installation media, otherwise they would not have been able to initiate the installation.  What is happening is the failed installation is being seen but isn't complete hence being unbootable.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

@ttblj

The easiest way to handle this would be to wipe the ssd/hdd and perform the installation again.  Wiping the drive with a program like Drivewipe will completely overwrite the entire drive leaving a clean drive to install Windows on.  The size of the ssd/hdd will effect the amount of time it will take to overwrite the drive.  It took about an hour to overwrite my 500GB hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users