Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a way to easily organize and sort tons of files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian_Machin

Adrian_Machin

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:28 AM

I have tons of different files scattered around various storage devices, each of them stored in multiple folders one inside another like a maze of folders and subfolders or a needle in a haystack, which make the process of finding a specific file extra difficult and time-consuming, even by using the Windows search function which takes sometimes forever to find a file, often end up lost and confused. The files are from many different file extensions and types, e.g. photos, videos, text files, RAR, ZIP, etc. I sometimes forget what files do I have! So that's where the idea of having them organized and listed came to my mind.

My idea is to have something mimic the Wikipedia which has an excellent method of searching and listings or Google or other organized and engineered websites. Something that has artificial intelligence and would sort and list the files in various methods.

I think my problem and idea is common, otherwise, how professional computer users which their job is to work with files and the internet; could access a certain file in their personal storage which could be possibly tens of terabytes in size? I think the approach should be similar to those used by large and famous companies and project managers etc.

TL;DR: I used to store my files in folders sorted by their categories, but as time passed so many other files were added so I had sorted them into other folders, but now they are too hard to access because of the many folders each nested inside each other, like a maze! My question is how and by what software should I organize them to access even my oldest files in a matter of seconds?

I remember there was a software which could categorize files and it had an animal on its logo as far as I remember. Any guesses?

Any software or method or even hardware recommendations would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:38 AM

A tool like the Everything Search Engine allows users to find every type of file...every copy of a given file...that is on a connected storage device.  Searches can be done by simply typing the filename or type in the program address bar.  You may want to take a look at it and see if it can assist you.

Results can be sorted by location/path or any other criteria displayed in the results.  User can see that searches are in progress by looking at the progress bar at the bottom of the displayed program page.

I use it to find duplicates or specific files or a gvien type of file on my system.

Everything Search Engine - http://www.voidtools.com/

Topic moved from Backup/Imaging to All Other Applications.

Louis

#3 Adrian_Machin

Adrian_Machin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

A tool like the Everything Search Engine allows users to find every type of file...every copy of a given file...that is on a connected storage device.  Searches can be done by simply typing the filename or type in the program address bar.  You may want to take a look at it and see if it can assist you.

Results can be sorted by location/path or any other criteria displayed in the results.  User can see that searches are in progress by looking at the progress bar at the bottom of the displayed program page.

I use it to find duplicates or specific files or a gvien type of file on my system.

Everything Search Engine - http://www.voidtools.com/

Topic moved from Backup/Imaging to All Other Applications.

Louis

Thank you, dear Louis.

The software you introduced is great. Is there a software with more capabilities similar to "Everything"? For example being able to scan the contents of document files as well as their filenames? or displaying thumbnails?

I'm also looking for that forgotten software which could be able to automatically sort files... I guess it had a monkey face on its logo... Any guesses?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:48 PM

Everything is only search engine I have used on my system data, while Google is my chosen Web search vehicle.  You might use Google to try to find alternatives.

Louis

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,506 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:13 PM

If you are comfortable using the command prompt I'd also suggest you do a web search on the ROBOCOPY command.  It can do a lot of what you're looking to do plus more, and for massive numbers of files that one can relatively easily come up with matching criteria for it makes it a breeze.  I've posted on ROBOCOPY recently on several forums here, so you could search on BC for "ROBOCOPY" to see what I've told some others who have needs similar to yours.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 Adrian_Machin

Adrian_Machin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

If you are comfortable using the command prompt I'd also suggest you do a web search on the ROBOCOPY command.  It can do a lot of what you're looking to do plus more, and for massive numbers of files that one can relatively easily come up with matching criteria for it makes it a breeze.  I've posted on ROBOCOPY recently on several forums here, so you could search on BC for "ROBOCOPY" to see what I've told some others who have needs similar to yours.

Thanks. I'm definitely going after it.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:06 PM

Because I do not like constant re-indexing, I use FileSeek Pro; earlier I used FileSeek free version -- both do a great job of searching for files and content within files.  I think you can ever search for folders [in a round-about way].

Edited by RolandJS, 09 February 2017 - 03:06 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:02 AM

A forum member mentioned "findmyfiles" several weeks ago.  I tried it briefly and liked it although I do not know how it compares to "Everything".  Try a internet search to find where to download if you want to read about and try it.

CORRECTION:  The program is called, "search my files".

Edited by cafejose, 11 February 2017 - 04:22 AM.

#9 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:02 AM

It's by Nirsoft.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html

I often use it. It's quick. No indexing.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users