Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Windows OS over network.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 steveo333

steveo333

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:56 AM

Hi guys, does anyone have any experience with installing windows os over network? I weekly install 100+ laptops and desktops, and its getting tedious with usb and dvd media for installing, ive tried Serva (Not having much joy) any advice will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:55 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

There are a few ways to install Windows over the network.  If you've already created the images, it sounds like you have, you can just create a network boot disk that maps to the drive with the imaging program and image files.

There are also ways to PXE boot to the network and deploy an image that way.  That's currently what I use, but I'm not involved in the process other than actually deploying the images to machines.  In companies where I have used this method there are teams in place that take care of the back end side.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:38 PM

1. You need at least 1 Microsoft Volume license to be compliant deploying an image. 2. Setup a Fog server (free opensource Ghost).

Edited by Sneakycyber, 07 February 2017 - 11:38 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 steveo333

steveo333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:08 AM

Hi thanks for the replies, I am unfamiliar with linux but will set one up and give it a try, with regards to Serva, how do I go about adding the drivers to the copied images? Thanks.

I have all the required licenses etc needed and tools to deploy once installed for the TOC agreements etc.

Edited by steveo333, 08 February 2017 - 10:10 AM.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

Might want to review this

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831764(v=ws.11).aspx

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:51 PM

As Wand3r3r posted above. You can use Windows Deployment and imaging tools to create custom images to include applications, Drivers, and settings.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 ppat

ppat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:42 AM

with regards to Serva, how do I go about adding the drivers to the copied images? Thanks.

You should read Serva documentation here.

for Windows:

https://www.vercot.com/~serva/an/WindowsPXE1.html

for Linux:
https://www.vercot.com/~serva/an/NonWindowsPXE3.html

For adding Windows OEM drivers you just have to copy the driver components on one specific directory (see the previous link)

and re-start Serva; Serva does the rest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users