Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adblock issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 prophet01

prophet01

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:36 AM

I've used Adblock Plus on my laptop (Firefox browser) successfully for some time now but recently one of the sites I frequent, a forum, has recently altered matters.
It now detects blockers and disrupts usage by enforcing a delay of 30 seconds before loading each page unless you turn off the ad blocker.
Link to the site: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/31-phuket-forum/

Any suggestions for a workaround would be most appreciated.?

413123309.jpg

Edited by prophet01, 03 February 2017 - 04:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:57 AM

Adblock Plus allows you to choose to allow a website or web page. If you want to do that then simply go to the site or page of the site

and then click on the ABP icon and choose to allow either the entire site or just the page you are viewing. You will need to refresh the page

once you have chosen one of those options.

Adblock Plus also allows some advertisements by default. If you want to block those ads click on the ABP icon and choose Filter Preferences.

UNcheck Allow some non-intrusive advertisements.

Edited by buddy215, 03 February 2017 - 07:59 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 prophet01

prophet01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:08 AM

Appreciate the response Buddy

The issue, however, is that having white-listed the site using Adblock to allow the ads they are simply so intrusive that I no longer enjoy the experience.

I was asking for any ideas of how to get around having to white-list the site to prevent the newly imposed page loading delay.

#4 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:24 AM

You could try adding it to your list of Restricted Sites in Windows' Internet Options, and then visiting it using Internet Explorer.

However, this may also cause the site to not render correctly in that it won't be able to run any JavaScript.  There may also be other side-effects.

Worth a go, anyway as that pop-up is being generated by a piece of JavaScript.

The real solution is for that website to not run intrusive and invasive ads - then people won't mind white-listing it in their ad-blocker.

Edited by Angoid, 03 February 2017 - 08:25 AM.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#5 prophet01

prophet01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:38 AM

Thanks Angoid, I'll give that a try.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

Enable the Adblock Warning Removal List. :)

http://techdows.com/2014/04/what-is-adblock-warning-removal-list.html

If it doesn't work, I can write a custom filter for you.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#7 prophet01

prophet01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

bwv

If that simply entails ticking the Adblock Warning Removal List box under "filter preferences" and then hitting "close" then unfortunately it hasn't worked.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:08 AM

I just now viewed the site using Firefox in Privacy mode. I didn't allow any scripts to run and am using ABP.

Clicked on a couple of forum topics and had no difficulty viewing content without any delay. If all you want to do is view content

then I suggest you try that.

EXAMPLE of CONTENT: (which I found interesting...the title of the article...how is that pronounced? )

British man, 55, found dead in Phuket from alleged suicide

Eakkapop Thongtub

1486090729_1-org.jpg

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 prophet01

prophet01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

Buddy

Nice one son.

I disabled ABP for the site and then opened it in a New Private Window and it worked .

Thanks very much for the assistance and also the other posters.

Prophet

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:38 AM

I didn't disable ABP. I use NoScript...that is what I meant about not allowing any scripts to run.

You're welcome...

#11 prophet01

prophet01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:07 AM

I see.

Interestingly I've just installed Noscript and it's preventing the problem in a normal window (with ABP enabled). No need to use a private window.

Edited by prophet01, 03 February 2017 - 11:08 AM.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:19 AM

I've often said if I had to choose just one security related program or add-on for a Windows computer it would be NoScript. It takes some time to learn to use it correctly to take

advantage of it's usefulness....which many do.

#13 prophet01

prophet01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:28 AM

I'll certainly make a point of learning how to use Noscript correctly

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users