Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Software For Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:28 AM

I desperately need to install a web accelerator on my new Windows 10 computer. The website indicates it works with Windows 7. What would the risks be (if any) of installing the accelerator? If I did install it, should I use/install it in compatibility mode? And should I use System Restore to create a restore point?

I never install software if it doesn't indicate it's compatible with my computer. However, I really need something to help with my super slow internet speeds. I can't find anything else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:06 AM

Web accelerators in general are not worth the bits used to write the code. The logic doesn't make sense. Why have another application involved in a slow connection. The better way is to close or disable as many non essential background applications as possible.

But yes if the application is not optimized for your OS it's not wise to install it. Especially a worthless one.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 ak_23

ak_23

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:20 AM

I personally wouldn't use any software to boost my internet speed. I recommend if you aren't getting the speed you are paying for, you contact your isp and make them fix it. That's what I did and now I'm good at 20Mbps everywhere, no problems.

#4 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

I'm stuck on dialup and the web accelerator helps tremendously. The difference between using it and not using it is like night and day. It compresses the heck out of images and other web content which makes the pages load so much faster. I'd turn off image loading, except I need images on many web sites.

So, it really is a bad idea to install it since it's only for Windows 7 and below? Bummer. I can't even get satellite internet because of the trees. They're completely blocking the southern sky.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:26 PM

In my earlier dial-up days, I used to have Netsonic and Netscape working together.  I think what that utility did is have a nice-sized cache pot that Netscape fed into and ate out of during browsing, it would keep the vast majority of the cache files, which normally meant Netscape was fast-fed the necessary cache files to quickly cough the quite-often visited web sites. Any new site, any big changes by any particular web site, would have Netscape be a little slow until the cache pot caught up. Back then, Netsonic did help -- once the cache pot kicked into action.

Which one were you interested in?  I'm curious.

Edited by RolandJS, 03 February 2017 - 02:29 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

In your situation it can be no harm in trying it. At the worst it just won't run under 10, but most software written for Win 7 will run in Win 10 and if it makes no improvement you can always uninstall it.

As for the trees, how about either a moderately tall mast with a dish on it or a power saw ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

In your situation it can be no harm in trying it. At the worst it just won't run under 10, but most software written for Win 7 will run in Win 10

In virtually any situation there can be no harm in trying old software that one has a use for or an affection for on a later version of Windows than the one for which it was written.  I've got scads of software that predates Windows 10, including MS-Office 2010, Microsoft Photo Editor, and a number of others some of which have been carried along with me since the days of Windows XP.

At worst, they won't run even using compatibility mode.  I have yet to encounter an instance where any old software has caused a later version of Windows than that for which it was written cause a system to crash and burn.  I hasten to add that this has some clear exceptions with device drivers, but even many of those were "carry along" items.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:56 PM

In my earlier dial-up days, I used to have Netsonic and Netscape working together.  I think what that utility did is have a nice-sized cache pot that Netscape fed into and ate out of during browsing, it would keep the vast majority of the cache files, which normally meant Netscape was fast-fed the necessary cache files to quickly cough the quite-often visited web sites. Any new site, any big changes by any particular web site, would have Netscape be a little slow until the cache pot caught up. Back then, Netsonic did help -- once the cache pot kicked into action.

Which one were you interested in?  I'm curious.

On my Win XP computer, I was using the accelerator from my ISP, TurboUSA. I'm not sure what it does exactly, but it has different levels of compressing images which makes them look horrible, but load faster. It also claims to compress text, html, javascript, xml, style sheets and Flash content. It's very helpful on certain websites. I loved it on Amazon until they started forcing HTTPS, which doesn't work with that accelerator. I know that I have to setup a proxy (from the ISP) in the accelerator. I'm not sure

I also have different browsers and browser profiles setup for different sites. So one profile is only used on Amazon and one is only used on Walmart. This way, the browser can hopefully pull from the cached content.  And I also use addons that block ads and scripts and stuff like that.

I've looked for other accelerators, but I didn't come across anything that looked better than what I have.

#9 Zopc

Zopc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:53 AM

Try Opera browser. It has accelerator built in.
(Opera turbo mode)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users