Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Mechanic did something, now my nvidia graphic card isn't being detected.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ak_23

ak_23

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:06 AM

So I recently installed system mechanic and ran a deep analysis and fixed all the problems it gave me a list of. After that it told me to restart my PC, which I did. Now the problems started. After restarting my PC, my resolution suddenly lowered and changed to 1280x1024 and everything was zoomed in. So I went to display setting and tried to change it back to 1440xsomething (which is my max optimal resolution). But there was no option for that resolution , the max was 1280x1024, so I went to device manager and updated my display adapter (which turned to intel instead of nvidia). After the update, the resolution changed back to normal (1400xsomething) but my nvidia graphic card was still not showing up anywhere, so I had the driver setup for nvidia and I ran it, but it said "couldn't detect any nvidia hardware". Whereas I still had nvidia desktop view option on my right click menu (which I couldn't open either). I tried restoring to previous restore point but there were no restore points either. So the question is how do I get my nvidia graphic card back? Is it ok if I uninstall then reinstall the drivers completely? Or will it black out my PC? I need serious help with this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read such a long post.

*EDIT*
I added a few pictures to make things simple to understand.
Attached File  IMG_0006.JPG   150.9KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0007.JPG   147.32KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0008.JPG   118.32KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0009.JPG   150.18KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0010.JPG   114.52KB   0 downloads

Edited by ak_23, 03 February 2017 - 01:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:21 AM

Of course everybody is going to come in here and warn you against ever using system mechanic because it has the potential to do more harm than good. But since you have already ran it is there anyway that you can remove it from your system and reset your system to a restore point to a date before you ran it? This should work to fix your problem.

And then after that destroy System Mechanic so that you will not be tempted to run it again. Windows 10 has too many built in tools to optimize itself so that there is no need for any third party software.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:46 PM

I tried restoring to previous restore point but there were no restore points either.

From #1 !

From your statement that your display adapter was now Intel rather than nVidia it sounds like System mechanic has knocked this out. Am I right in thinking this computer is a laptop ?  It is always a good idea to give at least the basic details of make and model when posting a topic. But yes, you can safely delete/uninstall both the Intel and nVidia drivers then re-install both of them. You will still have the basic Windows drivers, your screen won't go dark, just at 640 x 480 it won't look very pretty !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,804 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:46 AM

Of course Chris, I don't know how I missed that.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 ak_23

ak_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:45 AM

I tried restoring to previous restore point but there were no restore points either.

From #1 !

From your statement that your display adapter was now Intel rather than nVidia it sounds like System mechanic has knocked this out. Am I right in thinking this computer is a laptop ?  It is always a good idea to give at least the basic details of make and model when posting a topic. But yes, you can safely delete/uninstall both the Intel and nVidia drivers then re-install both of them. You will still have the basic Windows drivers, your screen won't go dark, just at 640 x 480 it won't look very pretty !

Chris Cosgrove
No I'm not on a laptop, I'm on a custom built old pc. And yeah system mechanic somehow knocked out my nvidia graphic card drivers . Thnx for the info about uninstalling the drivers. I'll do it now and see if it works.
And yeah I have already removed system mechanic after reading similar posts on the forums. Btw is the windows repair (all in one) download good?

Edited by ak_23, 05 February 2017 - 12:56 AM.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,804 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:01 AM

From #1 !

Chris Cosgrove
No I'm not on a laptop, I'm on a custom built old pc. And yeah system mechanic somehow knocked out my nvidia graphic card drivers . Thnx for the info about uninstalling the drivers. I'll do it now and see if it works.
And yeah I have already removed system mechanic after reading similar posts on the forums. Btw is the windows repair (all in one) download good?

Show us the link to the Windows Repair that you are talking about because it might be bogus.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

You were very specific in the application in question, it is the Windows Repair (All in one).  This is not a "bogus" application as suggested by Rocky Bennett.  The download link provided below is for this download here at Bleeping Computer.

Windows Repair (All in one)

Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one).

Notice:  This will take a long time to run, please allow for at least an hour for this to complete.  Stopping this can cause damage to the operating system.

When you open the Windows Repair (All in one) you will see tabs labeled Steps 1. through 5.  Then Repairs and Settings2. through 4. are optional.

Step 1.  Do a Proper Power Reset.  This is impotant and not optional.

tweak1_zps5460eb3e.png

Step 2.  Clean Your System From Infections (Optional).  This option will run Malwarebytes Antimalware if you choose to.

tweak2_zpse9b74c2d.png

Step 3.  Check File System (Optional), this will give you the option to see if you need to run chkdsk or the option to run chkdsk.

tweak3_zps6ebd559a.png

Step 4.  System File Check (sfc /scannow), (Optional).

tweak4_zps314fabc4.png

Step 5.  Registry Backup & System Restore.  This is not optional.
Click on Backup for the Registry, then click on Create for the System Restore.

tweak5_zps1f8cef34.png

Repairs.  Click on Start.

tweak6_zps104a9f0c.png

You will see an image similar to the one below, click on Start Repairs  

repairsa_zpsd14077e8.png

When the Repair has finished you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes.

After the computer is restarted you will need to reopen Windows Repair and go to Settings

Settings.  On this page you will see Log Location, in the same section you will find Open Log Folder.  Click on Open Log Folder, this will open the log files, double click on this, then click on _Windows_Repair_Log.  Copy the log and then paste it in your topic.

tweak7_zps277d4e41.png  

Tweaks is optional, you can go to these sites and use the tweaks.

tweak8_zps7d30ed30.png

Edited by dc3, 05 February 2017 - 12:51 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 ak_23

ak_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:16 AM

You were very specific in the application in question, it is the Windows Repair (All in one).  This is not a "bogus" application as suggested by Rocky Bennett.  The download link provided below is for this download here at Bleeping Computer. Windows Repair (All in one)Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one).Notice:  This will take a long time to run, please allow for at least an hour for this to complete.  Stopping this can cause damage to the operating system.When you open the Windows Repair (All in one) you will see tabs labeled Steps 1. through 5.  Then Repairs and Settings2. through 4. are optional.Step 1.  Do a Proper Power Reset.  This is impotant and not optional.tweak1_zps5460eb3e.pngStep 2.  Clean Your System From Infections (Optional).  This option will run Malwarebytes Antimalware if you choose to.tweak2_zpse9b74c2d.pngStep 3.  Check File System (Optional), this will give you the option to see if you need to run chkdsk or the option to run chkdsk.tweak3_zps6ebd559a.pngStep 4.  System File Check (sfc /scannow), (Optional).tweak4_zps314fabc4.pngStep 5.  Registry Backup & System Restore.  This is not optional.Click on Backup for the Registry, then click on Create for the System Restore.tweak5_zps1f8cef34.pngRepairs.  Click on Start.tweak6_zps104a9f0c.pngYou will see an image similar to the one below, click on Start Repairs  repairsa_zpsd14077e8.pngWhen the Repair has finished you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes.After the computer is restarted you will need to reopen Windows Repair and go to SettingsSettings.  On this page you will see Log Location, in the same section you will find Open Log Folder.  Click on Open Log Folder, this will open the log files, double click on this, then click on _Windows_Repair_Log.  Copy the log and then paste it in your topic.tweak7_zps277d4e41.png  Tweaks is optional, you can go to these sites and use the tweaks.tweak8_zps7d30ed30.png

Thanks for all the replies. My problem is now solved. I just did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate again instead of Windows 10 (which I didn't like anyways) and am now all set .

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

Glad to hear you resolved your problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users