Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns on by itself?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 teenslayer

teenslayer

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:30 PM

I am away Monday-Thursday every week for work and I turn the computer off Sunday night before I leave in the morning.

Recently, whenever I come back on Thursday, my computer is on. I reinstalled my OS a few months back, but I think this only started happening in the recent weeks. I've looked at waketimers and I've disabled windows update and everything that could possibly wake my computer while it is off.

Another strange thing is, I took a look at the "up time" displayed on the Task Manager and it says my computer has been on for 4 days, which is impossible... I left my house 3 days ago and I turned off the computer before I did.

I have no idea what is causing this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:23 PM

Have you tried disabling fast startup? It's a common culprit.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

Good luck! :)

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 teenslayer

teenslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:50 PM

I've turn off fast boot. Going to see if it still turns on by itself. Thanks!

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:27 AM

Also try to disable fast start up as well to see if that helps.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

Also try to disable fast start up as well to see if that helps.

Fast boot, fast startup.  You say tomato I say tomahmato, they are the same thing.  If you Google fast boot the same instructions come up for fast startup.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 teenslayer

teenslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:08 AM

Unfortunately, this is still happening. One of my secondary internal hard disks also suddenly failed.. not sure if there's any correlation. 

Does anyone have any other ideas? 

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:14 AM

Hi, you can use the powercfg cmd to diagnose this. Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open.

At the prompt after a start run this cmd:-

powercfg -lastwake (press enter) should show what woke the computer.

Further at the prompt copy paste:-

powercfg -devicequery wake_from_any (press enter)

This lists all the hardware devices that are capable of waking up the computer from standby. Not all are active,

to see what triggers are active type:-

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed (press enter) 

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 teenslayer

teenslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

See attached what cmd gives me

Attached Files

• Attached File  cmd.png   10.98KB   0 downloads

Edited by teenslayer, 06 September 2017 - 05:56 PM.

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

Hi, looks like your network card is set to wake on lan, most likely doing some updates, you can open device manager locate your card select properties then the advanced tab the option to turn off is there.

#11 teenslayer

teenslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

Here is the speccy results.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IgkCavNw6C8l0bUjTHPiBVP

#12 teenslayer

teenslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

For the network card settings, where can I find the option to turn off wake? Here is what I see: 

Attached Files

#13 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:19 PM

Hi, use the power management tab and uncheck, "Allow this device to wake the computer"

#14 teenslayer

teenslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:31 PM

Thanks jenae, I've done that now. 

I also have another issue - both my hard drives suddenly died within a few weeks of each other (I still have my ssd drive that holds my OS). One of them was about 2-3 years old, the other only 1 year old. First one suddenly started running really really slow and then started clicking, so I painstakenly transferred over about 80gb of stuff to my second hdd, only for it to start not being detected by my computer only weeks later. At first it would be 50% of the time detected, and now it just stopped being detected ever and has started making a weird noise as well. Is this just coincidence or is there something else that could have caused it. Malware was copied over from the 1st drive? Too much dust in computer? faulty sata cables or ports? something wrong with my motherboard? any ideas if there's anything I can look into for this?

I'm scared I'll buy another drive only for it to fail due to the same existing software or hardware issue. Could this be related to my computer starting up by itself at all?

#15 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:14 PM

Hi, well you can be unlucky, I have had many hdd's last for many years, then I had two that failed within two months. You might be able to RMA the 1 year old it should still be under warranty. Speccy gives a good guide to your system and I can see no obvious problems, you could tweak a few services and processes, however this won't make much of a performance difference.

Powerconfig readings are accurate so they indicate little to worry about. You just had some bad luck with the drives. (some years ago we did a major installation for the Govt of an Asian country, 75 machines brand new Dell's. Out of the box, 7 failed to even boot. HDD were shot.

Speccy indicates SMART readings as being OK (although speccy is just to be taken as a guide, any real problems would show)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users