Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any idea what is causing these odd Fonts?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 coldtowelneeded

coldtowelneeded

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:44 PM

Hello,

I am an 'enthusiastic' PC user and enthralled with what computers can offer for good and faily terrified of what can go wrong with them and the weapons that they can become.  I am fairly thick - probably correctly described as a meddlesome plodder.

I like the speed that windows 10 update  shows signs of supplying but not the lack of support and baffling way it handles things. How and why do some settings and functions change whilst others need to be re-set after restart for example.....but this is not my query.

So; can anyone explain what is happening when I am typing [not by touch - I usually have the keyboard on my lap. That is my excuse!] and this appears "butÍÓÚÁÉÓÉÍ"?  When this happens I forget what I am trying to type.  Have I hit a selection of keys to cause this or is there some other odd explanation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,526 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:08 PM

I don't know how you're triggering it, but what you're doing is enabling ASCII character input.

http://www.ascii-code.com

Scroll down to line 192 and you'll see the match.

It's also possible you're some how invoking the Alt key.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6008-alt-key-codes-special-characters-list.html

I know that the input is possible. How specifically you're doing it mid type is one I can't answer.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 coldtowelneeded

coldtowelneeded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:25 AM

Thank you very much for this.  Looking at the steps to get into "ASCII character" mode I cannot see realistically, that I did activate these keys. My keyboard & mouse are made by TARGA GMBH for a german supermarket called LIDL and I have been thinking of replacing it as both seem to respond oddly sometimes but wondered if I am 'bad and blaiming my tools'. Just discovered that the blue USBs are the USB 3s and putting the dongle for the hardware into USB3 has smartened them up...so far.

Call me paranoid but how does one know if your computer is being hacked?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,526 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:54 PM

Call me paranoid but how does one know if your computer is being hacked?

The best place to start is by creating a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum. In the new topic explain what you're experiencing, and ask if it's possible you have malware. If something does show up, you might be referred to another forum for further in-depth. analysis.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 coldtowelneeded

coldtowelneeded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:46 PM

Thank you for your time and further advice. Much appreciated.

I have dropped a very small donation to your fighting fund but if

everybody did likewise......

All the best

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users