Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cash Register sound

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GRP1

GRP1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

First my apologies if I am in the wrong place or format. I am new to the forum and have little experience in posting generally.

My problem: since yesterday (Feb 2) my W10 custom built computer unpredictably and at irregular but longish intervals goes "ca-ching"

I say that because I googled and found two sound files for cash register sounds and the sound is exactly like the second, so labelled.

Tried:not my printer - occurs even if switched off. I have Firefox and Outlook open most of the time but not related to activity - happens if I am not doing anything. Event viewer files (I am no expert) no help. I looked through Windows Sounds but could not find anything connected to this sound.

I wonder if I am hacked - though Kaperky records no event, Malwarebytes and MW Anti-Exploit seem happy.

Any advice would be very welcome

I have uploaded the sound file I got from the net

Edited by GRP1, 02 February 2017 - 06:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:42 PM

That is the sound of money being deposited to your bank account!

#3 GRP1

GRP1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:22 AM

I wish. But it might be an idea to check my accounts that it is not travelling the other way.

We have a funny tongue in cheek saying in Australia, about our ex prime minister, anything going wrong it was " Blame Abbott" (imitating the "progressive" media).

So I think: Blame Microsoft! - maybe.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:26 AM

Try unplugging any usb hubs you have.

#5 GRP1

GRP1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:34 AM

Thank you for the idea - i do have a couple of external USBs and a wireless-USB keyboard and mouse. I checked them and the USB hibs in Disk Manager and Device Manger and they passed.

The good news is that except for one more time this morning it has not happened. However the email arrived dingle is back, which I had stopped before - I'll have to  go back and reconfigure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users