Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal vs. External IP Address to use?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bluefin30

Bluefin30

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:36 PM

Hello,

I am a newbie in networking domain so I'll keep my question very simple and short. At my work we have 10 PC, one of those 10 PCs have to be selected as a dedicated PC to download large files from a Vendor's FTP site. The Vendor is asking us to provide "IP Network Range" for them to know which PC or user will be logging in to their FTP side for security reason.

My question is do I need to provide them the External IP Address which is a single address for all the request going out? or else.

Please Advise.

Note: we are a small firm and I am the only guy handling this. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:06 PM

That's correct, you need to provide your external address.

#3 Bluefin30

Bluefin30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:27 PM

That's correct, you need to provide your external address.

Thanks but how to get that IP Address? Is there any command I can use...

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:34 PM

Sure there is, but to to make it super easy just click...

http://www.whatsmyip.org/

#5 Bluefin30

Bluefin30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

Sure there is, but to to make it super easy just click...

http://www.whatsmyip.org/

Great thanks! but how you know that it is not dynamic IP?

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:50 PM

I don't know what agreement you guys have with your ISP. That's a question you need to ask your them, whether you have a static/dynamic address.

If you have a demilitarized web server and your traffic is going out through there you can be fairly sure it's static.

also...

If your company is always (24/7) connected to the internet it is highly unlikely that the lease on your external address would ever get a chance to expire, so you would keep the same address.

Edited by TsVk!, 02 February 2017 - 09:00 PM.

#7 Bluefin30

Bluefin30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

I don't know what agreement you guys have with your ISP. That's a question you need to ask your them, whether you have a static/dynamic address.

If you have a demilitarized web server and your traffic is going out through there you can be fairly sure it's static.

also...

If your company is always (24/7) connected to the internet it is highly unlikely that the lease on your external address would ever get a chance to expire, so you would keep the same address.

No we don't have a DMZ but yes we remain online (24/7)...so for to be sure I have to call the ISP.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, unless you are paying for a static IP for a specific reason (like some sort of web server) it's highly unlikely you'd have a fixed ip address.

Just give them your current ip address. If for some reason (like a long power outage) it changes in the future just inform the vendor.

That's what I would do.

#9 Bluefin30

Bluefin30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

Yeah, unless you are paying for a static IP for a specific reason (like some sort of web server) it's highly unlikely you'd have a fixed ip address.

Just give them your current ip address. If for some reason (like a long power outage) it changes in the future just inform the vendor.

That's what I would do.

Thanks! in any case calling the local ISP provider is not a bad idea either, I'll post what I will find tomorrow. 

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

Which also tends to cost significantly more than a "typical" Internet connection with a dynamic IP address as I understand it, which is why most people and small companies don't have static IPs. Plus, most small companies/businesses tend to have their websites hosted by services rather than run them on a local server at their office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users