Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HitmanPro deleted HKLM/software/classes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 personwhoneedshelp

personwhoneedshelp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

Hi, I used HitmanPro because Firefox was running very slow and experiencing blacking out on whole pages. It found a bunch of trackers and one other issue with HKLM/software/classes. After I let it do its thing Firefox works fine now, but then I noticed none of my USB ports will recognize my external hard drive or audio interface. I tried to find a solution and saw that what I deleted were registry files and well, that was a huge mess up on my end.

A short and easy fix for me would be to back up my files and just system restore a clean pc. Yet, I can't back anything up on an external HDD and I never created any restore points before the registry got messed with. I could possibly use google drive, but I wanted to see if anyone could help me with this problem first. I would love it if my USB ports could talk to hardware again. All external hardware lights up, as it is receiving power, but none work, not even a mouse.

Also, would trackers have been the problem slowing Firefox? Is that common?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:15 PM

Open Device Manager and delete all the USB Root Hubs. Reboot.

If that does not work you can boot a live linux disk and copy all your files to an external drive. What is the make and model of the computer?

#3 personwhoneedshelp

personwhoneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:22 AM

Thanks, I did that and my mouse and external drive is working, but not my audio interface. The external harddrive is accessible, but doesn't show the quick launch options that it usually does. Now that the HDD is working I am just going to do a clean wipe.

Thanks again.

#4 personwhoneedshelp

personwhoneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:44 AM

Scratch that, as soon as I posted I spent a few minutes browsing the internet, nothing particularly different, and then was planning on working on some audio stuff and tried plugging in a headphone amplifier which is one of the things that I didn't mention specifically but grouped in with audio interface and it worked. It didn't work earlier, I can't say for sure what changed, my guess is it just needed a minute to download the driver....but it worked!

I have a good feeling that the audio interface will work now as well, although I do want to do a clean wipe just so everything works properly, as I don't get the usual message with the HDD and there's just something a bit off and I would feel more comfortable in the end.

Hey, thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users