Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smartmontools

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:50 AM

A customers drive was corrupted and would not boot.  I recovered their data but now want to check if the drive is still any good to reinstall onto?  I need to do this in Linux or another program, but, being a linux guy had my trusty distro's laying around.  So booted up Mint Mate and ran smartmontools.  Don't know how good this tool is or even how to read it.  It looks like the drive is no good, and that would be inline with my experience with it so far.  It was difficult to even recover files from it, it would not open in Windows so used a file recovery tool to get them.  Now, here is the first Short Smartmontools Test Run.

I ran of course "sudo smartctl -t short /dev/sda"

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%     22449         6293560

"read failure 90%" Don't look good to me LOL.  I'm guessing there is no need to go any further with the Long Test?  This was the Short version, I got the directions at:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/monitor-hard-disk-health-linux/

Thanks as always pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:01 PM

I'd say it wouldn't hurt running the long test, but yeah if you where having that much issues with it, its probably a dead drive. I agree that the "read failure" is probably a good indication! :)

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

Thanks DC, that's to bad, was hoping to re-use it, 500GB Caviar Blue.  I think they had a Power Failure of something, something other than normal use because they don't use it all that hard, but are prone to power failures in that area.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

Ah, a power spike could have caused damage. I would try testing it with the drive tool of the manufacture. See what it comes back with. It usually is a windows tool though.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:17 PM

There is a DOS version that can be run from a USB. I have used this before, and it's straightforward enough as far as I recall.

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=2

I'll move this topic to Internal Hardware as that is the appropriate place for it.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

Sometimes the DOS versions of the disk diagnostic tools cannot detect SATA drives. If that is your case use GSMartcontrol.

sudo apt-get install gsmartcontrol

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/Screenshots

Gsmartcontrol is also available using Parted Magic which is part of UBCD, an excellent tool.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I think your drive has failed. 

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:56 PM

If your drive is showing 90% read failure,then it has failed.Time to get a new drive.Maybe convince your client to upgrade to an SSD?

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

Just FYI in general: Seatools for DOS does detect SSD drives and will test them. Couple of years ago I returned a 2gig Seagate still under warranty and had occasion to speak with their support dept; the tech there told me they used S for D to test SSDs and it works fine. I have been using it for that ever since with no problems.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

Lot's of good support guys thanks!  The 

There is a DOS version that can be run from a USB. I have used this before, and it's straightforward enough as far as I recall.

I'll move this topic to Internal Hardware as that is the appropriate place for it.

I formatted the Drive in Linux as NTFS via a Docking Station.  If I use the DOS version of wdc tool, can I still run it without an OS Present, it is in the Tower now?  Unfortunately the Drive looks new, but that's just cosmetic I know, but looks almost as it is not the original.

@paul88ks The customer got a new pc, this one will be either a Donate to Charity or I will use it for a while, not sure yet.

Sometimes the DOS versions of the disk diagnostic tools cannot detect SATA drives. If that is your case use GSMartcontrol.

sudo apt-get install gsmartcontrol

I may give that a try also JohnC.  It may all be a waste of time, but I don't have much experience with this yet.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:17 PM

The instructions at that page seem to be outdated, they don't match the name of the tool downloaded.

There was no "dlgdiag_x_xx.zip" and therefore no "dlgdiag5.exe" either.  I booted it and entered "dlgdiag5.exe" and got a warning saying it was a bad command or something to that effect.

Okay, got it.  I'll never know how these big companies get away with such disinformation, the file name has changed.  Really, they can't keep up with their technical info?  I'm guessing that page covers many of their drives so it is well worth fixing.

I wonder if I should "Write Zeros To Drive" to set it as new?  Yes I will, here it goes!

Edited by pcpunk, 03 February 2017 - 10:19 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:09 AM

Just a few questions to end this thread

1. Can I test the HDD now that it is Zero'ed out, or will it need to be Formatted?

2. If it test's properly while Zero'ed out, can I just Run a W7 Install media and let it do the Formatting?

Thanks, pc 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

#1:  Yes, you can; the mechanical aspects of the HDDor SSD is what the tester targets, not the file system or data. In fact, whenever I purchase a new drive, either HDD or SSD, I always run Seatools for DOS on it to verify that it is good from the factory before I partition, format or install anything.

#2:  Yes, that will work fine.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

Thanks ranchhand_, I can now move forward.  I would love to have fixed this drive and test all this used hardware out to see if it is fit for Donation.

Thanks, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

I wonder if I should "Write Zeros To Drive" to set it as new?  Yes I will, here it goes!

I wonder about writing Zeros to Drive still...will this fix some things etc.?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

Wow, doing an Extended Test with the WD Tool and it is taking a long time, 1:27min so far, and 1:22 Remaining.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users