Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One context menu item that i can't remove

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Adzkii

Adzkii

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

There's one context menu item i'm struggling to remove. I downloaded almost 20 "remove take ownership" reg files to get this context removed. No luck. I also tried manually removing it through regedit, no luck. Can someone please help me remove take ownership context item.

Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

For your registry edits did you go to both of the following keys?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ ContextMenuHandlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\contextmenuhandlers

You said you tried downloading over 20 remove from context menu reg files. Was this one of those?

#3 Adzkii

Adzkii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

For your registry edits did you go to both of the following keys?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ ContextMenuHandlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\contextmenuhandlers

You said you tried downloading over 20 remove from context menu reg files. Was this one of those?

Yes that was one of the 20 i downloaded. Also yes i did dig into those registry edits. Can't seem to find it in there. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

Download ShellexView. Run the program. Click on a Context Menu listing under Type and then click the Type menu bar. This will sort all Context Menu settings. Look for Take Ownership if found then highlight it and click the red button in the menu bar to disable it.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

#5 Adzkii

Adzkii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

Download ShellexView. Run the program. Click on a Context Menu listing under Type and then click the Type menu bar. This will sort all Context Menu settings. Look for Take Ownership if found then highlight it and click the red button in the menu bar to disable it.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Yes i have already installed, i checked the context type but i couldn't find anything related to Take ownership. I just disabled like 5 context menu items but they weren't Take ownership.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

Another key it may be listed in. Other than the below key I am out of ideas, sorry.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\takeownership

#7 Adzkii

Adzkii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex/takeownership i had one in there but i deleted that while ago, but still no luck. Is there one in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\takeownership? I don't see it if i'm wrong.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:27 PM

That key was referenced in the below link. If you don't have it then I am not sure where take ownership would be. Have you tried searching for "ownership" in the registry?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/cant-remove-take-ownership-from-right-click/d0e5e4e6-02bf-4ae3-bf6b-6a6766a8b81a

#9 Adzkii

Adzkii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

Have you tried searching for "ownership" in the registry?

Why didn't i think of that before  :smash:  Cheers!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:12 PM

I would be very careful on what you delete using the ownership search. There could be keys that are needed for Windows to function.

#11 Adzkii

Adzkii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

I would be very careful on what you delete using the ownership search. There could be keys that are needed for Windows to function.

There was one take ownership key hidden it was named "takeownership" it was well hidden, deleted the key and now it has finally disappeared!

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:06 PM

Nice troubleshooting. Glad you sorted it out and thanks for the update. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users