Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No images showing in Windows Live Mail

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gozoman

Gozoman

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

I had a problem with Windows Live Mail not working and was forced to reinstall it a few days ago. Everything is now working as normal except for one thing. Any emails I receive which contain images the images are not shown. I seem to remember there was a show images button but that isn't there either.

Just to clarify I'm using Version 2012 (Build 16.4 3528.0331)

I went into Options, Safety Options, Security and made sure the checkmark was removed from, 'Block images and other external content in HTML mail.' That made no difference even after rebooting. Everything was working fine last week but since I reinstalled it I've had no images. Any idea how I can get this back to normal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:19 AM

Windows Live Mail No Longer Supported.

Topic moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email.

Louis

#3 Gozoman

Gozoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:23 AM

Windows Live Mail No Longer Supported.

Topic moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email.

Louis

Okay. Thanks for that.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Gozoman,

I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling again, making sure to restart between the uninstall and reinstall.

I still have a lot of clients using WLM 2012 and even though Microsoft just ended official support for it the program still works just fine for IMAP and POP access.  If and when it starts to become security "Swiss Cheese" articles will hit the tech press.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

Or... you could simply change email clients.  Thunderbird and Opera mail are two that I've used and liked.

Edited by dc3, 02 February 2017 - 12:55 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Gozoman

Gozoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

Gozoman,

I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling again, making sure to restart between the uninstall and reinstall.

I still have a lot of clients using WLM 2012 and even though Microsoft just ended official support for it the program still works just fine for IMAP and POP access.  If and when it starts to become security "Swiss Cheese" articles will hit the tech press.

I reinstalled it again yesterday but just did it over the top of what was there so I assume that was a bad idea. Would you suggest doing what you suggest in normal Windows or Safe Mode?

Or... you could simply change email clients.  Thunderbird and Opera mail are two that I've used and liked.

At the moment I don't want to change but thanks anyway.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

If I am reinstalling software I always uninstall the existing software first.  By contrast, if I am installing the latest version of a given piece of software, unless the installation instructions explicitly state that I must manually uninstall the old version first, I do an "install over" install.

A lot of programs these days include an "uninstall existing version" step in their upgrade installers.

In the case of WLM 2012 I would completely uninstall, restart the machine, and do a fresh install.  One need not be in safe mode, you just need to be logged in using an account with administrator privilege.  You will probably have to set up your e-mail account or accounts again.

I really don't understand why Microsoft can't pick and stay with a single free e-mail client that they are willing to do "evolutionary support" on like they've done with Outlook.  As far as I'm concerned the new Win10 Mail App is to be avoided like the plague.

Edited by britechguy, 02 February 2017 - 04:35 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#8 Gozoman

Gozoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

Yeah that sounds like a plan but I will need to wait until I can afford to be without the email for a while.

I did the install over the existing copy as it was just corrupted for some reason and I thought it would do a repair by replacing any missing or corrupt files. It seemed to work and everything is working fine apart from the images issue.

I don't know about the Windows 10 Mail App as I have been avoiding Windows 10 itself like the plague! The laptop I'm using at the moment was custom built by Sony but they don't make Vaio laptops anymore which I think is crazy. Anyway if I feel it's time to upgrade I might just move to Mac as I'm getting sick and tired of all the problems with Microsoft.

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2017 - 09:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users