Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing zorin os 12 core 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 placemat

placemat

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:25 AM

Hello Everyone, I have an ASUS A85XM-A pc with Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. I have just purchased a Seagate 1tb External hard drive, and purchased Zorin

os12 core live dvd. I wish to install Zorin on the external hard drive, keep it completely separate from Windows. As I have no experience with Linux, I am stuck.

Once I click the install button all I get is no root file system is defined please correct this from partitioning menu. The Seagate hard drive shows up straight away, I just

do not know what to do. I want to make sure the boot loader for Zorin is on the external hard drive, as I do not wish to botch up Windows. I would really appreciate

if someone could help me with this. :bananas:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:58 AM

Hi

Its a USB HDD?

The first thing I would do is boot the PC from the Zorin DVD, Then I would use Gparted to format the drive to say ext4 and set the flag to boot.

Do you need help with this? If so I will guide you step by step.

Nick

Edited by NickAu, 03 February 2017 - 04:36 AM.

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:01 PM

May I just mention one thing, here?

I was attempting to do this very same thing around 2 years ago. Installing Zorin (either 8 or 9, I believe it was at that time) to an external Seagate USB hard drive. 

From what I recall, Zorin is a wee bit particular about how it's installed. I did manage to get it working, with help from the Zorin Forum; let me see if I can dig up the link to the thread. It may be of some help to you.

Yep; here we go:-

http://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9075

Turned out my problem was because I had the HDD plugged into a PCI-e USB 3.0 adapter card. I've since discovered that no USB adapter has boot capability flashed into the on-card ROM chip...

Nope; that's not relevant to your problem.  Yours is to do with how to actually configure the installer.....which, as I recall, is like the Ubuntu Unity installer, since that's what it's based on.

I'm bowing out; I'll leave you in the capable hands of Nick, who's used to doing this. I haven't used the Unity installer for at least two years......Nick, on the other hand, will be using these types of installer fairly regularly.

Apologies for the red herring!  :blush:

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 02 February 2017 - 03:08 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

Thank you both for replying. I have the Seagate external hard drive plugged in to the front of the tower in the blue usb slot, as the Seagate usb plus has a blue usb. I do not know how to run things

from a Linux terminal yet. My internal hard drive with windows 7 is showing in Zorin as /dev/sdb 1 ntfs 104 mbs windows boot loader 26 used. /dev/sdb ntfs 1000097 mbs 50227 used

The Seagate external is showing as /dev/sda . I am confused why it is showing this way.I did notice gparted is easy to find under the menu, but I do not know how to use it.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:34 AM

Hi

I wont be around much over the weekend, Its my birthday, I wont be back till Monday Australian time.

Nick

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:07 AM

All comments on Nick's birthday go here please: :)

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/638962/happy-birthday-nickau/

#7 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:20 AM

Happy Birthday from new member placemat. If you would be able to help me sometime next week when you have the time I would really appreciate it. Have myself a bit worried about doing anything with this at the moment.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:02 AM

Thanks.

In the mean time have a look at this https://zorinos.com/help/install-zorin-os/

You know you could always unplug your main HDD with windows on it then there is no chance you cam mess up windows. Then when Zorin is installed on the USB HDD plug the Windows drive back in.

Edited by NickAu, 03 February 2017 - 06:02 AM.
fix link

#9 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

Thank you again. I will unplug the main hard drive and try again. :bananas:

#10 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:11 AM

Hello Everyone, I have managed to install Zorin os 12 to my Seagate external hdd, without effecting windows, grub is where it should be on external hdd. I did use gparted to partition the disk and followed instructions that were given to someone else wishing to install on an external hdd, Everything working fine. I am able to boot the Seagate drive from both my pc's, and I am a happy and

relieved person. Found it a bit daunting there for awhile. Thank you for your help. :bounce:  :bananas:

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:35 AM

Hi

Thats great to hear, I knew you could do it. If ever you decide to dual boot Windows and Linux let us know, Dual booting will make your Linux install faster, But for now enjoy.

Nick.

PS

I am able to boot the Seagate drive from both my pc's,

Bet you cant do that with Windows.

Edited by NickAu, 05 February 2017 - 04:36 AM.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:48 AM

:thumbup2: ...well done placemat !!

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:19 AM

If you would like help securing your new operating system please start a new post titled something like " securing my new OS"

But for now if you can open terminal and type or copy and paste this.

sudo ufw enable

then hit enter, You will be asked for your password, This command will start your firewall and generate a script that starts it every time you boot Zorin.

Nick

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,413 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:36 AM

Good to hear, placemat. Wasn't so hard, was it?

WELL DONE!  :thumbup2:

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:19 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies. Once I started using gparted I thought what a great tool it is, and am really enjoying Zorin. I have configured the firewall, and it is on. Thank you for the offer

of how to dual boot windows and zorin, but I have found Zorin is starting pretty quick just booting from the external hdd., and windows starts up 25 to 30 seconds at the most from the Toshiba

internal hdd. Happy lady now. :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users