Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 is still a thorn in my side!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Graphicool1

Graphicool1

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:55 AM

When Microsoft was pulling out all the stops trying to give W10 away; (regarding my W7 Pro desktop PC) I decided to stick with W7, until all the wrinkles had been ironed out of 10 and only then consider the pro's and con's before making that move or not.

At that time, I'd heard lots of things about 10, some good but mostly bad. Even so, that being said, being a freeware junkie I couldn't resist the temptation and I thought I'd like to check it out for myself. But in a way that wouldn't cause me any or at least not too much grief, if anything went wrong. So I figured that my W7 Pro laptop would make an ideal candidate. Because, (unlike my desktop PC) it is rarely used and as such has no extra programmes or other add ons. So I thought would install 10 and put it through its paces. 

First I ran the compatibility programme, it gave me a thumbs up and so it began...it had almost finished installing when it told me that it couldn't continue because there was an unforeseen error. I tried a couple of times more, but no joy. I didn't bother to look into it any farther, because as I'd only decided to install it on a whim and didn't really care that much. So I thought no problem, it must be an omen and after all you can't miss what you've never had, end of story.

Oh how I wish that life with Microsoft could be that simple. Because for months afterwards and right up till the present day, it still keeps trying to install W10. I got over it long since, but It just wouldn't let it go. Luckily for me, as already said, I rarely use that laptop, so it isn't really an issue. Until that is, it suddenly dawned on me that since this whole sorry saga started I hadn't been getting any 'other' windows updates. It was like it was so obsessed with installing W10 that it couldn't think about anything else, it was stuck in a loop. 

Although I have have since/recently sorted out the 'no other windows updates problem'. It is still trying to install W10. any suggestions would be most welcome. Not least because now that they have stopped giving it away, I don't want to receive a bill for something that I didn't really want in the first place.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:18 PM

I have been using Windows 10 for just over 2 years now with absolutely zero problems. Also, I have installed it on several DOZEN PCs for other people, with absolutely ZERO problems.

It is what it is.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:25 PM

The Windows 10 Upgrade files had already been downloaded to the VM and were stored in a directory on the main system drive (typically C:\) labeled $Windows.~BT. That folder can range in size from 3-6GB in size based on my experience so far.

This is a hidden folder because of the $ before the folder name. Unhide hidden folder/files. It may even be a system folder so I would unhide system files also. Delete the $Windows.~BT folder.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/prevent-windows-10-upgrade-installing-after-making-your-reservation

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

Also, I have used many, many different Linux and Windows operating systems, and Windows 10 just seems to always work. IMHO, It is the cleanest, most efficient OS ever for home computers.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:41 PM

Also, I have used many, many different Linux and Windows operating systems, and Windows 10 just seems to always work. IMHO, It is the cleanest, most efficient OS ever for home computers.

Yep, Windows 10 is awesome!  BTW if you are waiting for all bugs and kinks to be ironed out of an OS, you will be waiting forever!

#6 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:55 AM

Hi JohnC_21

I was aware of the dollar files, I had two one was '$Windows. BT' (353kb) and the other was '$Windows. WS'. (343kb) Neither would let me delete them. However I managed to get rid of the 'WS' one in the end, by changing its name to 'Mindows'. The reason I held back on the one marked '$Windows. BT' was/is because my service provider is 'BT' (British Telecom) and I was uncertain about the connection? But I bit the bullet, this morning and tried to delete it, only to find it wasn't having any of it. Even when I changed the name it made no difference. It looks like I'm stuck with it, whatever its origin?.

Rocky Bennett & dhjohns

Thanks for your response, I could answer you in many ways, if I wanted to enter into a long drawn out diatribe from all sides. But you've caught me on a bad day, so quite frankly I have neither the time nor inclination to start something that purports to possibly be somewhat ongoing. I will however say...you are both responding to what wasn't asked or even mooted and is of no help to me whatsoever!

Rocky Bennett...I don't care how long you've been using 10 or how good you find it. You are not me! And we may each want something different from an OS. I loved XP and now I love 7. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to take 10 for a spin, especially if it was free.

dhjohns...Yes, I guess I was being a tad ambiguous in my statement. Which left it open to misinterpretation and of course there is always one person ready to jump in and mix it up. But I don't think I need to qualify what I've said with a more succinct rendering.      

It seems to me and this applies to you both. You haven't got anything helpful to offer, but you're not going to let that stand in your way. Some people appear to only be responding because they like to see their names in print.  

Edited by Graphicool1, 03 February 2017 - 04:55 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

Please see the following BC guide on removing the BT folder.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/delete-windows-old-folder/

If the above does not work then the files can be deleted using a live linux disk. If you are interested post back and I will give instructions. 

#8 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:57 AM

I have always just right clicked, and selected delete to get rid of those folders.  Here is a thought though.  Open cmd as admin, and type in cleanmgr /verylowdisk.  Hit return, and let it run.  Click OK in the Window which opens at the end.  Then in the same prompt type cleanmgr /sageset:1, hit return, and check every one of the boxes in the window which opens.  Click OK.  Not in the same command window type cleanmgr /sagerun:1, hit return, and let it run.  All your crap should now be gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users