Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Return to Windows 7 from Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DallasCop2566

DallasCop2566

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:29 AM

I had upgraded to Windows 10 on two desk top and one laptop computer during the free upgrade period.

All was well with one desktop and the laptop, but I was continually having problems with the other desktop. 

I had the Installation Program for Windows 7 on a flash drive, so I re-installed Windows 7.  It is working well, no problems.

I however observe two VERY LARGE Files:    windows.old    and      windows.old.000            that appeared on my C: Drive after the re-installation procedure.  If I recall correctly, the file windows.old appeared after the upgrade to Windows 10 and the file windows.old.000 appeared after the re-install of Windows 7.

I assume these two files are for returning to the previous operating system.  There is no way I would want to return to Windows 10 on this machine, so may I delete these two files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:16 AM

I would delete them.

http://www.howtogeek.com/223821/what-is-the-windows.old-folder-and-how-do-you-delete-it/

Louis

#3 DallasCop2566

DallasCop2566
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

Thank you Louis, followed the article you suggested and learned a lot. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

:thumbsup2:, happy computing :).

Louis

#5 J-sailor

J-sailor

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:22 PM

During a scan I found more " old " things that can be deleted. Goto " Computer " and type in the searchbar: .old
At least 3 items should pop up. Delete them. That's all and have nice day. Greetings from the Netherlands.

@ DallasCop2566 Don't forget to run a defrag program after deleting. Your pc's will run faster after defrag.

Excuse me for forgetting one detail. Run a register cleaning program and delete the keys. Why? Hundreds register-keys of former installations are still on the computer. After deleting run a register-defrag program and you will "love" your pc again.

Mod Edit:  Merged 3 posts to resolved topic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2017 - 04:56 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

Defragging an HDD is an excellent suggestion; however, if you are running an SSD it is recommended that you do not run any defrag utility. First, it is not needed with an SSD which does not fragment saved files. Second, it creates additional stress on the SSD that decreases its life span.

Re: register cleaning programs. I strongly suggest that you do not run any register cleaner, defragger, optimizer, etc. etc. on your drive. There are a ton of these things advertised on the internet, usually when someone Googles "computer help", or "virus help" or some such. They all start with a vanilla explanation, and immediately launch into "usually these problems are caused by a bloated registry, we recommend immediately cleaning your registry with the "blah, blah, blah" "super-duper optimizer", etc. Most of these are total scams, and can install rootkit viruses, damage your system, or worse. Do not mess with your register unless you totally know what you are doing, and are experience in doing it.

If you want a light cleanup of some entries, use Piriform's Ccleaner. It is not a deep cleaning, but will not harm your computer.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users