Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware change and Windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 robert000

robert000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:29 AM

I recently upgraded my Motherboard, CPU, and Ram, now I'm having issues with WIndows 10. When I booted the system, windows made me revalidate my windows key, i did so before i really noticed anything wrong witht the system. Now, only 2 USB ports work, windows won't shut down unless I hold the power button, any drivers I try to install hang up and won't finish installing. I thought it might be the USB controller, tried to install new drivers from the MOBO disk but to no avail. No idea what to do now

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:27 AM

Windows using device drivers belongs to your old motherboard either uninstall all of the currently install drivers or reinstall Windows OS.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:40 AM

Windows using device drivers belongs to your old motherboard either uninstall all of the currently install drivers or reinstall Windows OS.

Correct, thread starter will have hunt down, visit the web sites of, download the drivers from, the manufacturers of the chip-sets and the on-board devices of the new, replacement, motherboard.  I do not know if the new CPU or the new RAM is a problem, others here in the know can pitch in.

Addendum:  See dc3's successive posts; follow his advice, you can't go wrong!

Edited by RolandJS, 02 February 2017 - 01:19 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

If this is a retail copy of Windows the following applies.  It does not apply to OEM computers.

If you have ever installed a Windows operating system toward the end of the installation you will receive a message to the effect of Window is setting up your computer".  It is at this point that Windows is assigning the drivers needed for the startup.  When you change the motherboard you will have at the very least have changed the chipset, this will require the proper drivers for the new chipset.  This would also be true for the CPU. 

Did you use the CD that came with the motherboard to install the drivers for it?

Alternatively you could call Microsoft to have them activate the operating system. 

Another option would be to do fresh installation so that Windows will assign the needed drivers.

If this is a OEM computer this is going to create a problem.  A OEM Windows operating system is to be used for one installation only, the operating system is tied to the.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

A OEM Windows operating system is to be used for one installation only, the operating system is tied to the [motherboard]..."

Addendum:  Follow dc3's advice, you can't go wrong! [See his post following this one.]

Edited by RolandJS, 02 February 2017 - 01:18 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:29 AM

A OEM Windows operating system is to be used for one installation only, the operating system is tied to the [motherboard]..."  If that's the case, is my earlier post sufficient if I add:  thread starter must call OEM vendor to get license "moved" to the new motherboard?

This has nothing to do with the OEM manufacturer, this is all about Microsoft.  The only way to resolve this would be to purchase new COA (Certification Of Authenticity), also referred to as the product code.  Because a OEM installation is intended for one installation on one computer the COA is not transferable.  The only type of Windows operating system that can be transferred to another computer or build would be if it is a retail copy.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

dc3, thanks for the heads-up, I forgot the OEM is not involved.  I'll amend my earlier post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users