Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Servers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:27 AM

I am running a legal case management software application called Time Matters. It used to run on a P2P network, but now requires a server. I do not want to buy or maintain a physical server for my 2-person firm, but I also do not want to convert 20+ years of client data to run on one of the cloud-based case management applications. So I am hoping that I can use a virtual server in the cloud.

It is my understanding that virtual servers can be used pretty much for any application that requires a server and the application really doesn't know whether it is running on a physical server in my office or a virtual server in the cloud.

Question #1: Is it true that Time Matters will be just as happy running on a virtual server as on a hardware server in my office?

Question #2: Is there a difference between a "virtual server" and a "virtual dedicated server"? Is the difference that a virtual server is running in a virtual machine that is possibly on a shared physical server with other VMs whereas a virtual dedicated server server is on its own hardware?

Question #3: Assuming I am right in #2, does it really matter to Time Matters whether it is on a dedicated virtual server or not? I assume it only matters to me because of cost and performance. And since my demands on the system are fairly low, a dedicated server should not be necessary.

Thanks for any help or pointers.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:09 AM

Question #1: Is it true that Time Matters will be just as happy running on a virtual server as on a hardware server in my office?

Question #2: Is there a difference between a "virtual server" and a "virtual dedicated server"? Is the difference that a virtual server is running in a virtual machine that is possibly on a shared physical server with other VMs whereas a virtual dedicated server server is on its own hardware?

Question #3: Assuming I am right in #2, does it really matter to Time Matters whether it is on a dedicated virtual server or not? I assume it only matters to me because of cost and performance. And since my demands on the system are fairly low, a dedicated server should not be necessary.

Answer #1: Yes, there is nothing stopping it from running it on a Virtual Server as long as it has the minimum requirements

Answer #2: You are correct.

Answer #3: You are correct here too.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

Depending on who needs to access the application and how, you could create a VM on your office hardware (provided your existing computers support virtualization), install the necessary operating system on the VM, and then install the application there. It appears this will run on Windows Server, yes?

If your users need to access the application and data from outside your network, via mobile phone, web browser, etc., you're probably better off using a cloud-based VM. Depending on the operating system required, you could use Azure or Amazon Web Services for this. The set-up and maintenance required to secure an on-premise server and still make it available externally is probably greater than a small office like yours can reasonably handle, so the cloud would be better.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

Just a word of warning, if you use a non dedicated server and the application ties its self to the MAC address then you are buggered big time.

Like AutoCAD serials are tied to the MAC address of the server hosting the keys!

So be warned about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users