Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No https access and a lot of malicious websites

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rids

Rids

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:37 PM

This problem just came to mind. I aren't sure if these are red flags of any infection. When I click a result on google I go to the page telling me the regular "There is a problem with this websites security certificate" or depending on the browser "This connection is untrusted" and for chrome "Your connection is not private" . I get these a lot, enough for me to constantly be double checking if my DNS is hijacked by manually going paypal typing HTTPS. I get the secure connection. I don't typically type in https for all my websites since I know they all use it. I just automatically note it. I have not had an issue where I visit a daily website that uses HTTPS and retrieved this error. I usually always get these errors when I am clicking websites through a search engine. The results page shows the link with HTTPS and if I use startpage to use their proxy to view the site I get the HTTPS.

Also another fluke with my search engine results lately is malicious websites being listed as results. I'm unsure (because I never checked *facepalm* ) if the URL the search engine shows me is the actual page I land on. These websites I talk about being thrown to me as search engines are those "You have a virus" websites. They end up as the 5 top result in most cases for keywords that would be very common. 

I also had something very strange occur to me last week. I get regular phone calls from my bank about my credit debt. They always follow protocol and state who they are and ask for my card number to verify me. Well recently I been getting out of state phone calls from people claiming to be my bank. I hang up instantly because it's my bank apparently and I owe them money. The one time I kept talking because I just took my pills and was chatty the guy said he was from my bank and asked instantly and directly for my full SSN for verification.

I said "Why would I tell you that, anybody can call and say they're my bank and ask for my SSN" and he didn't talk for a second. As if he was gathering a buddy to listen in while he trolls me. I hung up. The question here is I have no friends so only 4-5 people have my number. I never give it out online. The only people who have my number would be government agencies and my bank. For all other reasons I use google voice. I've never posted my personal number online. 

If my e-mail I gave my bank was hacked all they have is my email. My phone number would never of been typed in any email. So somebody figured out who my bank is and my phone number they call. I am 100% sure I never typed my number into any computer. I don't bank online or use my phone for anything high risk I've only had this bank for a year and this phone number I use for them I've had for less than 8 months. 

I've been infiltrated somewhere within the last 4 months. The first call from an out of state number was about 4 months ago when the real bank started calling about my debt (coincidence?) So are my issues suspect of an infection? I have not found any yet. Since I am out of work I wasn't able to afford my kit of protection softwares. I am actually only protected by Windows defender currently! 

BTW I just started digging into this problem since my meds kicked in and work. I am using 72% RAM with only Adobe Creative cloud and Pidgin open. MsMpEng.exe is always the leader in memory consumption. I uninstalled a program called serviio the minute I installed it months ago and its service is still running. That service is always using a lot of RAM. I am now peaked out at 100% RAM and Memory Compression is at the top of my resource monitor. When I switch windows at a not fast but brisk speed I see a lot of Hard faults/sec.

I am going to try booting in safe mode maybe? Possibly something that was downloaded (unlikely) is messing with me. Or a past Windows 10 update causing issues? If not I have no paid-for gear to tackle this problem.

Edited by Rids, 01 February 2017 - 11:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users