Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU & Monitor for a build advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 squareincircle

squareincircle

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:47 PM

Hi, have been hesitant to build a PC for to long. What monitor to buy is what's preventing a build from actually happening. Really like the idea of having a 16:10 aspect ratio but there are not a lot of them out there. Don't like to buy something and then a year later buy something else, a monitor in my opinion should last longer than the majority of parts in the PC. Am interested in a NEC EA244WMI it seems to have everything I want but am hesitant to purchase because I will game on it. I can not go to a store and see what it can do, it has to be ordered.

The graphics card picked for this monitor is GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.
Am hoping someone on here owns one but if not would some of the knowledgeable people who understand the specifications give me some advice on this monitor and if you have time would that be the right graphics card? Am wanting a general purpose monitor that can play fast paced games at decent frame rates and is decent refresh rate. Do you think it will work? If your hesitant to reply, nothing is wrote in stone, I just want your opinion!

Thank you for your time.

Damon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

Well the numbers look right and the NEC EA244WMI is a IPS/LCD screen so that works for me too "i don't like TN screens" just sucks its 5ms response
time and caped at 60hz, more then that i would like to have it for 20min to game on to see what its like and sadly if you like twitch shooters like me most LCD iv tried in the past can't even do 60hz/fps and that bugs my eyes,most LCD iv tried in the past cap out at like 45fps so its fps shutter land or its motion blur city, its why my self im still on a CRT, and your right they should last a long time, i know my CRT at lest 15 years old if not older and still going strong.

As for the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB its fine and you should be able to play whatever you want with that at very good fps.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:11 PM

In general terms, most any monitor these days can handle any resolution supported by the video card.  Gaming does offer a different aspect in that you begin trading image resolution for frame rate.  To get faster action it has to define a smaller area it can display quicker and be ready to respond to keyboard/mouse/etc inputs before drawing the next frame.  The point to look at is response time of the monitor depending upon its interface selection.  DVI is supposed to be the fastest.  Not always available on monitors or video cards.  Careful selection and research will make the choice a little easier.

#4 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:26 AM

It's actually any video card can handle any resolution from a given monitors default resolution and below not the other way around. Don't worry too much about response time even 5MS you won't see any ghosting with new displays, and when a CRT is comapred with a new fllat panel yes the older CRT's would do 75 and up to 120 hz but the resoution scale is horrid with the average res at those times with CRT being 1024x768/1152x864/1024x1280. I mean polygons on those things are HUGE trust me. Pretty much every new flat panel now have DVI and most have DVI + HDMI as well as the legacy analog connector. You have to be careful talking to gamer crowds they will try to tell you that you need a 120-144 hz display. They are good but costly and you have to know have to finagle your GPU settings to best optimize the framerates especially when dealing with lower or mid-end GPU's and higher resolutions (2k-4k) although most 120-144hz are 1080p. to be honest you are better off getting a higher quality display (better made) -- meaning eve if it's 60hz it will still play fine and look great and you will be looking at a great panel. Dell, Acer, Samsung, HP have very nice displays.

Edited by Zone_86, 05 February 2017 - 07:02 AM.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:15 AM

I had a CRT at one point that could do 200hz/vsink/fps at low res ^^

As well some 21~22" crts 20" viewable can do 2048x1536, dot pitch is well past what anything you can find on LCD last i checked based on res vs viewable screen size though on my 22" CRT i tend not to go past 1600x1200.

Don't know what you mean by huge polygons, as well iv seen a lot of LCD in the past, mostly ISP screens that cap their refresh rate at way lower then 60, they say 60hz but the fps is caped at 40 meaning 40hz im my mind, i don't need a FPS counter on my screen as i play a 3d shooter to know what 85hz/fps looks like with vsink on a crt and im still waiting for LCD screens to be able to come close to doing the same.

Wouldn't mind seeing what O-led can do but so far i haven't had the chance to use one first hand.

Like to test out some of the new top of the line gamer lcd at some point too, just to see what they can do, most of the lcd screens iv seen/used are mostly older and not top quality meaning not $2000 24" screens.

Edited by shadow_647, 05 February 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#6 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

What's your budget for your monitor? I'd expect something lower than a 5ms response time at $300

#7 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

I agree $300.00 is usually 2MS/1MS and or 144hz but in the 24" range. $300.00 (A tad over usually) will also get you a 2k display but usually a 60 hz model. You can get a 1080p model with low MS for not much $ but usually they are also 60hz. I use two of these 27" 1080p models here I have each one set @ 74hz.

hp-27xi-front-800x533-c.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00B3329WA?th=1

#8 squareincircle

squareincircle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:08 AM

Wow, thank you all for the replies. Just got home from work, will read these again later and digest this information to try and get an understanding on this. I don't want to spend $350.00 on the NEC but I might. Three hundred fifty dollars is the most. One thing though color accuracy is important. Granted its was cheaper TN panels but the ones I have seen do not like at all. Again thank you all for your replies.

Take Care

Damon

Edited by squareincircle, 06 February 2017 - 06:09 AM.

#9 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

Looking around, this monitor (Review: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/lg-24gm77-gaming-monitor,review-33157.html

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P0EOX1S/?tag=bom_tomshardware-20) seems pretty good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users