Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Laptop for school, AAS Networking and Server Technologies

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bc9235

bc9235

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

Hi everyone.  I just started college and wanted to get some input on a laptop.  I will be learning Linux and Cisco networking and was curious about running either a dual boot or virtual machine with Windows 10 and Linux, but I don't know a whole lot about either of those topics.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially regarding dual boot vs virtual machine.

Laptop or Desktop?

Laptop

My budget for the new computer is: 

Preferably under $700 or $800

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? 

School work.  Email, web browsing, online classes, programming and hopefully some sort of dual boot or virtual machine situation.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? 

Microsoft Office programs, any IT related software I might need.  For example, I know right now I'll need to download Packet Tracer for my first Cisco class

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? 

No games

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? 

I like to close programs when I'm done with them, but also like to run two windows if I need to.  For example, a web page in one window and Excel or Office in another

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
No

Will you be overclocking?
No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
Nevada

How many monitors are you planning to use?

Do you need peripherals? OS?

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users