Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 8900 Restarting continuosly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

Earlier today I unplugged a usb mic and the DHMI monitor cable one after the other then the pc shut down and restarted on it's own. when the desktop loads it shows an error windows titled "Speech recognition Error" and showing "Speech recognition could not start". Make sure your audio hardware is working properly...... When that error window appears it lasts about one minute then the pc restarts, it is happening this same exact way repeatedly.

So one would think that I do data recovery and all of my files are backed up, tsk tsk. I have a few folders and files on this pc which I need to recover but the pc will not go into safe mode and a linuz disc will not load. I even tried removing and attaching the HDD to another machine but while I can see the drive, it will not open for me to copy.

I don't mind doing a reset or recovery but I would like to get a few folders and files which are sitting on the desktop, help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:43 PM

See this post.  Not sure it will help. If you can't do it using control panel boot to the login screen then click the clock icon.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:26 AM

Thanks, I posted for more help in that thread. I am confused though why you mentioned about the control panel boot to login and also clock icon?

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:35 AM

Only 2 options as I am seeing now, either try to get to safe mode via troubleshooting or connect the drive on another pc but this time internally instead of using the SATA USB cable. Tell me this please, if I should connect the HDD to the other pc's internal SATA cables, can I use the SATA cables which is connected to the optical drive?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:17 AM

if I should connect the HDD to the other pc's internal SATA cables, can I use the SATA cables which is connected to the optical drive?

Yes

The clock icon is on the lower right of the login screen. This will open up the option to start navigator narrator. Or, after logging in go to control panel > Ease of Access to open navigator.

ease-of-access-icon.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 February 2017 - 01:19 PM.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

I connected the drive to another machine as stated, upon powering up it started doing a chkdsk on the drive, it took a while but now I can see the drive on the other pc. The files I need to backup were located on the Desktop of that drive so I opened the USERS folder and now I am seeing 4 folders showing "Administrator, Defualt Migrated, Mike and Public".

I tried opening the Mike folder, it had initially shown "you do not have permission to open this folder" or something to that effect but then it asked if to continue to get access, i chose Yes. The green bar in the url has been cycling for about 10 minutes now, what can I do here please?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

Sounds like the hard drive is going but I'm not sure. If it started a chkdsk at power up it means chkdsk found the file system was "dirty". 

Can you boot a live linux disk on the computer and see if you can open the files/folders?

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 February 2017 - 01:22 PM.

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:27 PM

It just opened, I am copying the files now, get back to you.

Edited by mystic12, 02 February 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:28 PM

backup went good, resetting pc now, thanks.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

Nice, if this is your computer you might want to consider doing a disk image to an external drive after everything is set up. 

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

ok, I will look into that next, get back to you. Yes, this is my work machine

Edited by mystic12, 02 February 2017 - 03:33 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:37 PM

I am sure you have heard of 

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper

Easeus Todo Backup Free

Aomei and Easeus also do file/folder backups but Easeus is better at selecting folders and files vs Aomei. All will allow incremental and differential backups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users