Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card - Ruined? Just Need to Have HDMI

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gibsgoinpro

gibsgoinpro

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

I'm upset with myself even though I'm not tech savvy. A fan in my computer that for the longest time was so loud and clanky stopped being so loud. I thought it might have fixed itself. Anyways, last night I was watching a video from computer on my tv and heard a super loud POPPP sound. My computer was hotter than id ever felt it be. Turned it off. And seen the fan was not even working anymore and pulled the video card out. THrough the fan of the video card I smelled burnt dust. So i'm 95% sure that it was from the video card. Does that mean the video card is pretty much ruined?

WIthout too much info, recently it would not let me use the video card when i turned computer on. So i've been watching through the VGA connector. My friend said that my RAM could be why I couldn't use my video card anymore. So if it was RAM would that be because the memory has run out? How do I find out?

I wish I would have pulled it out before as I wasn't even able to use it right now. I got the video card to play video games but I don't anymore and just need the HDMI part because I like to be able to watch from my computer and tv for videos.

Im not sure how to even find out if the Video Card is ruined since just recently it stopped letting me view through it. I was hoping to soon figure the problem out somehow and if the RAM is the reason.

If it is messed up now, does anyone know where to get a cheap basic video card with HDMI port? Or does anyone have an old one they don't want anymore?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

It sounds like the cooling fan for the video card was dying, and then it finally died. Without the fan the GPU can't be cooled. I assume it would turn off if the fan died, but judging from your description, I guess not.

Your problem is not RAM related. Your problem is your video card overheated and died.

The GeForce 8400 GS or GT 210 is the cheapest card you can get now. Usually $30 on Amazon.

Edited by Gorbulan, 01 February 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#3 broken-pc

broken-pc

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:18 AM

It sounds to me like a capacitor exploded on your video card...that would explain the pop you heard. Your video card is most likely dead. Blaming your ram for your video card not working, when your fan stopped working on said video card, is ridiculous.

Edited by broken-pc, 03 February 2017 - 12:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users