Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade from win7 enterprise to win10 pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bwaltman

Bwaltman

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

Hello,

I am currently running Windows 7 Enterprise. Can I buy a Windows 10 Pro license and do an upgrade with it? Or do I have to purchase an Windows 10 Enterprise license?

Thanks,

Bill  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

According to Microsoft you would have to upgrade to Enterprise.

#3 Bwaltman

Bwaltman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

Thank you!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

There are two different types of installations in this situation.  This would either be a fresh installation of Windows 10 or a upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  If this is a fresh installation you can purchase and install any version of Windows 10 you wish to purchase.  If you are going to do a upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 you have to use the same version as the Windows 7. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:12 AM

dc3, if you take a look at the link I posted you can upgrade or downgrade to different versions.  Since Windows 10 doesn't come in all of the different versions that Windows 7 has a same version upgrade may not be possible.  For instance you can go from Windows 7 Starter edition to Windows 10 Home or Professional.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

Yep... I missed that.  But it will not matter if the op is purchasing a license for Windows 10, they would be doing a fresh install rather than a upgrade. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Bwaltman

Bwaltman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

Thanks guys... I appreciate the quick response.

I was hoping to do an upgrade so I wouldn't have to reinstall software and data. Which ever way is the least expensive vs time consuming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users