Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion a6642p Desktop PC

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

Just acquired me this used Vista tower I would like to keep and put windows 7 on.  Just wondering if it is worth keeping.  I see at the official page there are cpu upgrades to be had an I assume they are not all that expensive to purchase, I'll look them up when I get time.  I guess the question is, has this Tower got decent Hardware.  Don't need a super fast setup, but do need some decent speed to import and export files from a docking station to a USB sometimes.  The exact Specs will be in the link  below.

"HP Pavilion a6642p Desktop PC"

Pentium E5200 CPU    http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01559154

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

Before doing anything I would download and run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

Will do John, thanks.  I forget how well the thing is working now, it was an Upgrade to W10, the customer that is.  This Vista was not working all that well, but I'll see if I can run it.  Don't know why I was just assuming it would run, always have good luck with the Intel stuff.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

Hiya, punk.

That's not a bad hunk of hardware. Regardless of what you intend to use it for, I'd make one recommendation; upgrade the PSU. 250W is a wee bit on the low side to be comfortable with, to my mind.

A 500W unit will give you plenty of 'comfort zone'. I think you're like me; you don't do anything 'mad' on your box, do ya?

Aside from that, nowt wrong with the hardware at all. Certainly, for Linux (if you consider dual-booting at any point), Intel hardware is always very accommodating.....and Windows pretty much always likes Intel stuff. That E5200, for example. 2.5 GHz dual-core; easily upgradeable to the E6300 on the same socket (LGA 775). 2.8 GHz, and that'll give ya virtualization, too (if you want it, of course. I've no idea if you play around with VirtualBox or owt like that)......but for less than $10, it's yours on eBay:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-Dual-Core-E6300-SLGU9-CPU-2-8-GHz-CPU-Prosessor-/141848137086

(That's just an example, mind; you may strike lucky, and find a good'un for even less..!)

I agree with John, though; if you're planning on putting Windoze on there, do run the Win 7 advisor. I can't see you getting many queries against it, though, if at all.

Just my tuppence-worth. Hope it helps.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 February 2017 - 08:12 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

Thanks Mike!  Just ran the advisor, but as I thought, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already have a good idea about.  

Edited by pcpunk, 03 February 2017 - 11:25 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

Okay guys, got this thing running Windows 7 Home Premium and it runs fine albeit a little slow.  So now want to see if I can FIND LOL some parts to get it up and going a little speedier!  I'm doing a little pc repair so am always coming across parts and just found a CPU that May work on this MB?

CPU Upgrade Intel E5200

I would like to upgrade this Intel E5200 but finding it a little difficult, here is the official link.  

http://ark.intel.com/products/37212/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E5200-2M-Cache-2_50-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

I understand the Socket needs to be the same, but not sure about the Chipset and the TDP.  I may have to buy or wait till I find something that fits better, but, I have acquired one of these below from a used pc.  The TDP is higher, but again not sure about the Chipset, will someone tell me how to find the Chipset info on the Intels Page?

https://ark.intel.com/products/35365/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q9400-6M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

The official HP Link tells me it may be compatible: (Intel Core 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx), but again the TDP is higher, and not sure about the Chipset, can't seem to find how to compare them.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c01559154

I did some research and learned, but still a little confused about a few of these things.  I believe, that if the TDP is higher, then I will have to modify the cooling system, but can't really find info on how to do that sufficiently.  Here is a site that gives me what I believe is a pretty accurate list of what CPU's will be good for me, and wonder why they don't have the Q9xxx Series?

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Pentium_Dual-Core/E5200.html

I may also keep this processor and beef up the RAM and whatever else that can be done to make it a little faster.  The RAM is now only 6GB at 400MHz.  

I also wonder where to find some cooling options for this thing if I am able to speed it up a little.  Seems like if it were a big rig there would be lot's of info, but with this little guy there don't seem to be to many resources.

Thanks, pc

Edited by pcpunk, 04 April 2017 - 04:28 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:56 PM

According the the MB support page you have the G33 chipset. Is this what you were looking for? According to CPU upgrade the G33 supports the Q9400.

I'm not sure about the cooling. I think you would need to upgrade the CPU cooler. I don't think you can add additional fans to that case.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

I see it now John thanks, I didn't see there was a big list like that to the right.  I think it will be best to get one at that page that will work.  I think it's pretty clear that the "Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 CPU" will be the best.  It seems we can get these on Ebay etc. for pretty cheap.  Do you think I would run into problems if I ran the Quad, but just don't run it to hard?  I ask because I don't thoroughly understand TDP yet though read up on it last night.

I think you would need to upgrade the CPU cooler.

Hmm, I wonder if this is up-gradable, is this what I call the Heatsink?  Or is it the Fan Plus the Heatsink Combo?  I know the machine that Quad came out of had Two Fans, and they were strategically placed.  I can see good Engineering and this case is not well engineered lol, not like the one this Quad came out of.

I was confused by the MBSupport Page saying this:

Northbridge chipset: Intel G33 Express

Southbridge chipset: Intel ICH9R
Why does it say Northbridge and Southbridge?

Any other ideas?  Overclocking just a little, RAM?  Will going from 400MHz to 800MHz make much difference?  Technically speaking they seem to be not all that much different, but some say that the MHz Number is important.

Thanks again

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

I would have to defer to somebody with more hardware experience regarding the CPU and TDP.  

As far as the CPU cooler l was referring to the Heatsink/Fan combo.

Southbridge and Northbridge chipsets control different hardware. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge_(computing)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southbridge_(computing)

#10 kmi187

kmi187

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:40 PM

Just acquired me this used Vista tower I would like to keep and put windows 7 on.  Just wondering if it is worth keeping.  I see at the official page there are cpu upgrades to be had an I assume they are not all that expensive to purchase, I'll look them up when I get time.  I guess the question is, has this Tower got decent Hardware.  Don't need a super fast setup, but do need some decent speed to import and export files from a docking station to a USB sometimes.  The exact Specs will be in the link  below.

"HP Pavilion a6642p Desktop PC"

Pentium E5200 CPU    http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01559154

This system should be ok for both windows 7 and windows 10.

I would just put a small ssd in it to put the os and most used applications on.  It's socket 775 so you won't be able to get the raw speed of a SATAIII ssd drive, but the much higher I/O of an ssd will still make it worth it.  Especially if you are going to be browsing the web with it.  Maybe check if it's running the latest bios before giving it a clean install.

Other than that, good to go, nice score.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

@kmi187, thank you very much!

Already Installed Windows 7 a while back but as you suggested, I should have Updated the BIOS, I will do that next before I install anything else.

I'll also take the Tower apart to see if there is anything obvious that I can Upgrade as far as Cooling the Possible New CPU goes.  This thing runs well enough, but is a little sluggish.  I'll need to be careful with any potential money I spend on it because money is very tight right now.  A new/used CPU I think will be the ticket asap as they are pretty cheap used.  I'll keep on the lookout for some new RAM also as I believe that this RAM is on the slow side, 400MHz

Still learning about Upgrades like this, so what is the consensus here about 2 or 4 Cores, how much does it really matter?  I don't do any graphics editing, mostly just work with teamviewer and lot's of File Transfers from External HDD to USB, usually at the same time.

If no one has any info about the cooling on this case being Up-gradable then might have to move this to the HP Forums.  This will allow me to use the Quad Core Q9400 I have now! ha, that would be really cool!...literally.  This will likely come apart today just to keep this going asap.

Thanks, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:34 PM

Hiya, punk.

Hm. You're going from 65 watt TDP to 95 watt TDP.....but then you're stuck with Intel's famous crap 'stock cooler', aren't you?

Jx1loBb.jpg

They're not exactly the best thing ever invented.....

Mind you, when I upgraded my Athlon 64 3200+ single-core to an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ dual-core, I went from 67 watts TDP to around 90 watts TDP.....and I kept the same K8 stock cooler. And it still runs around 30C on average. 

It's a big old hunk of ally, though, as you can see.

FujjPbn.jpg

Yeah, you might have to find a better cooler for that.....but there's no need to go mad, from what I can see. I don't think you need a monster on there; by all accounts the Q9400 is a fairly cool-running chip. All depends on what you wanna pay for one.....

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 April 2017 - 04:36 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

Ahh, Mike...you have let me into the Garden of Power Boosting lol.  I was mulling this over today, and was thinking, why don't I just throw'er on there and watch those Temps with my trusty CoreTemp Monitor!  Now, you have told me enough to give it a go for sure! and with some nice pics lol, really like the pics lol.  I don't do all that much on this baby, but will still try to find out if thee is an alternative Fan and or HeatSink combo that will allow some efficient cooling.  In fact...still have the Tower that I got the QuadCore out of.  It is missing some gear needed for it to work so I thought I would rob some of this good gear from it.  It does however still have Both Fans, and of course the HeatSink if needed.  I'll do some searching tonight to see if I can find a cooling solution in case it is needed at some point.

Thanks, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

It's a strange one, punk.

For all that there seems to be this myth about AMD chips running hot, I've never found that to be the case.

Maybe I've just got an unusually good heatsink/fan combo. Maybe I'm just unusually fastidious with cleaning, then re-applying the thermal paste when I redo it once a year. Maybe this old Compaq tower has got a particularly good airflow.....I just don't know.  :scratchhead:

All I can say is that I've only rarely seen the temps climb above 50C.....and that only happens with two instances. One, when I play NetFlix.....and if I do any video editing (which isn't often). In normal usage, if I see the temps climb above 35C, that's unusual. Even in our summer, it doesn't often get above 40C (and that's pushing it.)

I know Noctua seem to have a pretty good rep. I'd have a look at some of their stuff on NewEgg, if I were you.

Just my two penn'orth.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

The only experience I have between the two is: the laptops seem to make more noise due to the fan running harder? or maybe they are using different fans than Intel? don't really know.  One AMD Laptop I have does run without much noise at all, just like most of the Intel based Laptops I've used.  The AMD Laptops do seem to run a little hotter also but my experience is very limited at this point.   

Just noticed this about the BIOS Update! very nice, maybe just what I need.

Fix and enhancements:
Improves system thermal performance.
Updates fan curve for processor support.

Edited by pcpunk, 05 April 2017 - 07:46 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users