Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding new hard drive to older laptop.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

I want to change a hard drive in an older Dell laptop; Inspiron 1520. It is 32 bit.

I had purchased it in 2007; Dell offered that particular model in either Vista or XP. I chose the latter, due to Vista's reputation.

Eventually, I upgraded to windows 7 & then to windows 10.

I noticed it has been running warmer & ran the Sea Tools test; it failed.

I know that it is probably wasting time, but wanted to know if I could find a hard drive from an outside vendor, that was cost effective?

Also want to change the operating system of it to Lenix. I realize that the older machine will not be able to keep up with windows 10, as it progresses.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 01 February 2017 - 05:27 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

Hi,

The machine uses a common Sata HDD 2.5" that you can replace easily with another HDD or with a SSD to get a performance boost.

To be on the safe side search on google the specs for the specific model of the HDD you have now, take note of the dimensions to make sure the new hdd/ssd is not bigger and can fit inside the "socket" for the HDD.

On this video the first thing the guy removes is the HDD

Edit: Service Manual https://ia800307.us.archive.org/18/items/dell-manual-inspiron-1520service-manual/inspiron-1520servicemanual.pdf

Edited by SleepyDude, 01 February 2017 - 02:44 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

I will take a look. It is another laptop, but I like it because of the compartments, that I don't have to take apart the whole unit to get to.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:26 PM

For info on linux operating systems...you should visit https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/ .

Louis

#5 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:29 AM

Thanks SleepyDude, your assistance has helped.

I finally got into that laptop: interface SATA. Serial ATA hard drive.
Seems the same size as what the one just put in the Toshiba Satellite & needed to change out. The case on that one requires I pull the whole thing apart.
I am grateful of the engineered convenience that allows me to remove 4 screws & slide the HD out. But I know it short comings are that it will not meet the curve of where windows 10 technology will drive it to. So I am going to convert to Linux Ubuntu OS.

I don't know what I am doing, but so far so good.

I will need a good procedure for backing up the data that is on there or a software system that can hold that data until I put it on the new drive. Probably will have to jump through different topics to do so.

Attached Files

Edited by mixpix, 02 February 2017 - 12:44 AM.

#6 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:18 AM

After I get a new hard drive, how do I go about recovering the data from the old drive? I know I will back up the old drive 1st, but is there a software program that will allow for an easier go of it?

This link was shown to me: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Acronis-True-Image-Home.shtml

Is it a freeware or is there a link to the paid download. Confusing me at times, these sites have a few scattered options, I don't know where to go.

The computer I had the shop change the hard drive out on, put a paid version on & it makes it easy to do weekly or monthly back ups. It is also Acronis.

Thanks for the help.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,197 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:22 AM

The computer I had the shop change the hard drive out on, put a paid version on & it makes it easy to do weekly or monthly back ups. It is also Acronis.

With the Paid version of Acronis you can create a Rescue Disk (DVD/USB) and then use that to boot the other machine. Create a full image backup to an External Hard Drive, after replacing the HDD boot the machine using the rescue disk but this time use the restore option to load the image from the external hard drive and write to the new HDD.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#8 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:26 AM

As your current drive is Western Digital, you can use WD's free version of Acronis while the WD drive is connected internally to make an image to an external drive.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:44 AM

Another good backup/restore program is Macrium Reflect.  You can create an image of all your data folders and files from your source HD, then restore that image onto the target HD.

Addendum:  Earlier, I should have added:  You can do a full image of the entire source HD and then restore that image onto the target HD; target must be equal or larger in byte-space than the source HD.

Edited by RolandJS, 03 February 2017 - 06:34 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,197 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

As your current drive is Western Digital, you can use WD's free version of Acronis while the WD drive is connected internally to make an image to an external drive.

Yes he can but what happens if the newer HDD isn't from Western Digital and he want to restore the backup?

___
Rui

#11 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:09 PM

And it won't be. Went on Amazon & purchased the Samsung 850 EVO, 250 GB for around $100. The 750 EVO same capacity was about the same cost. I compared them of a few sites & figured that the 850 was bang for the buck a better deal.

But I wonder if I will have a problem putting on the OS it has now, Win 10?

The reason I am concerned, is that it was a XP at original purchase. Then when XP was about to be abandoned & no updates were going to be made anymore for it; purchased Win 7.

As Win 7 was being pushed out & Microsoft was preaching a free upgrade to 10. I took advantage & upgraded this older machine 1st. As it turned out, I liked 10. It was a lot different than 7, but it was intuitive enough for me to use.

When I discovered the HD on the Toshiba machine was failing, I fell back to this one. The shop took care of the Toshiba. I then ran the test on on the Dell; it too failed. I expected it the case, as the machine is a 2007. Vista & XP were the choices on that model only. All other Dells ran Vista. Xp was still going & was reliable; sort of. I figure after the shop took care of the Toshiba, I would learn enough from them to put a disk on the Dell; using help from BleepingComputer.Com! Thank you.

Now I have to switch disks out, & get some operating system; hopefully 10. What do I do for putting on the Win 10 OS, when I have the disk for 7 & am going to a complete different HD?

A recovery disk isn't going to do anything, will it?

I don't even know enough about computers, to know if there isn't a manner to "ghost" the whole operation, including the OS & put it on the new HD, as if it were the original?

Is that a question that I should obviously know, or am I that far removed to know it isn't possible?

Edited by hamluis, 02 February 2017 - 07:57 PM.

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,197 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:48 AM

If you do a backup image and restore as suggested you don't need to worry about reinstalling the OS because everything will be exactly like it was on the old HDD.

If you want instead to start fresh its possible to download Windows 10 from Microsoft (use same edition) and do a clean install on the new SSD. Changing only the SSD doesn't affect the license it will auto activate when get access to the Microsoft servers.

___
Rui

#13 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:02 PM

If you do a backup image and restore as suggested you don't need to worry about reinstalling the OS because everything will be exactly like it was on the old HDD.

I don't know what I am doing wrong. I backed up to an external hard drive; made the recovery disk to a thumb drive.

I changed the hard drive to the new one, then booted the laptop; saw the application, but couldn't see the external drive? I know I am either overthinking or I am going about it wrong.

The Acronis application opens, so I am assuming the drive I want, is not the recovery thumb drive?

I click on the recover option. There are also back up option. There is 64 & 32 bit, on two or three options. Some of those options are like system analysis or backing up. Then there is the recovery option.

I was confused at 1st & had made a "clone". That erased all the backups on the hard drive. I went back & read SleepyDude's instruction :

"With the Paid version of Acronis you can create a Rescue Disk (DVD/USB) and then use that to boot the other machine. Create a full image backup to an External Hard Drive, after replacing the HDD boot the machine using the rescue disk but this time use the restore option to load the image from the external hard drive and write to the new HDD."

After, I did the Acronis image back up of the whole laptop & as mentioned have the rescue disk on thumb drive. I did leave the "clone" files on the external drive; the image back up is on there too.

I am thinking the rescue disk opens the Acronis app & I make the choice? It is, I can't figure how to get at the external drive, I can't find it.

Thanks again for the help.

#14 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,197 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:39 AM

Hi,

The Clone feature is used when you can have the old and new HDD's connected at the same time to the machine...

Just to confirm, the image backup was created from inside Windows not by using the recovery thumb drive?

What type of Rescue Disk did you create? WinPE or Linux based?

___
Rui

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

Macrium Reflect, both free and pay-for, can do almost everything Acronis True Image can do -- just different buttons to push.  "Almost" means the free MR cannot image only folders and files; the pay-for MR can image only folders and files.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 February 2017 - 09:38 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users