Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing motherboard brands, will my copy of windows work?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 broken-pc

broken-pc

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:11 PM

I am switching from an Asus motherboard that has problems, to a Gigabyte motherboard. Will my Installed copy of windows 7 work? If so, What do I have to do to prepare my system? And if I have to re-install windows in the future, will my windows still be activated?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,400 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

Possibly...but maybe not.

Activation of Windows is, at times, unpredictable.  Legally, MS says that a change of motherboard is a new system...and only retail licenses are supposed to be able to move fron System 1 to System 2...but there are situations where what is legal is not what necessarily is the verdict by the folks at Product Activation.

I find that...when it comes to PA, you don't know until you try.

If the motherboard is bad...that may have resulted in damaged files on the hard drive.  Such files may prevent/impede any effort to run Windows properly.

Louis

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:17 PM

I have done loads of MOBO swaps, with identical boards and with generic replacements.  IN all cases where the user had the original installation disk, the unit was able to boot to the disk after service and a REPAIR option selected all the proper drivers  and hardware associated OS programs and return the system back to full operation with the different hardware.  Got to have that DISK.

#4 broken-pc

broken-pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:13 AM

I have done loads of MOBO swaps, with identical boards and with generic replacements.  IN all cases where the user had the original installation disk, the unit was able to boot to the disk after service and a REPAIR option selected all the proper drivers  and hardware associated OS programs and return the system back to full operation with the different hardware.  Got to have that DISK.

I have the disk, but it is the OEM version. I am sure I could get it to work with the repair option, but the thing that scares me, is if the circumstance comes up where I have to do a fresh install...will I be able to activate it again, is the main question?

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:33 AM

As hamluis has already said - if you have retail Windows 7 licence you should be able to re-activate after changing motherboard, if you have OEM Windows 7 licence then you should not be able to re-activate (but you MIGHT get away with it -  you won't know until you try). Whether it's a repair install or a clean install should not make any difference - if you can't activate a clean install you wouldn't be able to re-activate a repair install.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

What the real clue is as to whether the OS disk with it's particular key will pick up the identical key off the OS on the hard drive.  If they match, it should work to do a repair.  A clean install is entirely different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users