Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you stay out of the rabbit hole

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rids

Rids

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

I spend most of my free time learning about anything computer related. I grew up on a computer. Had the ambition to start an IT career as a repair tech. I realized anytime somebody came to me with computer problems it was never anything physical to fix. Always adware or a virus or a dozen. I just took up studying networking yesterday.

Normally I have no motivation to study. I basically lost all interest in anything for a while. Depression maybe :o I been sitting here on broken computers I can't care to fix. Threw em away eventually. I like to teach myself with hands on learning. If I have to watch a lecture with no hands on learning i have to hand write notes or draw pictures or diagrams. I started with a simple networking tutorial on youtube. It's from microsoft. For once I didn't look at the comments or what people thought of the video. When people say a video is bad that makes me loose interest in it halfway through. So far I watched the basic of basic about networking. Stuff I already know. The most advanced it got was discussing an IP address. It's made up of 4 octets each octet is 8 bits total making an IP total 32 bytes and the magical 256 bits number blah blah blah. That much I already know.

Than I got side tracked. When the teacher started to talk about the two parts of an IP the Host/subnet I began to think about those bits and bytes. I ended up on some website at stanford studying data storage starting at the phrase "A bit is like an atom in computer storage. You cannot get any smaller"

So how if at all do I quit getting side tracked by these rabbit holes that go off in one direction aside from the main subject I intended to learn? I never finish anything because of this. I go at things with the mindset to master the subject, I see that approach here impossible because there are going to be subjects where things just trail off into a completely different subject and to master networking I don't need to really know all this information about data down to the core of it. By the time I realized I'm way off subject I have already learned up to

n bits yields 2n patterns (2 to the nth power) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tinka82

Tinka82

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

Funny, I just used the same term myself in my thread for my BSOD problem and hopped over here to see if anyone had ever had the inclination to develop a humorous flow chart depicting all the rabbit holes we get drug into. 

What should be a reasonably straight forward 'if, then' process is never.  By the time you deduce the issue and the prescribed fix, it seems there are 14 different road blocks between you and your prescribed repair and 12 of them are insidious quick sand traps set by folks trying to weasel their way into your wallet or your system.  

Gah!!  

I find the same with the learning process on the internet.  Shopping for Item X turns into a 2 hour trip around the planet.  The major difference is our learning, shopping or otherwise casual info seeking is at our own choice.  The IT fix moments always seem to be when you're under the gun and the rabbit holes are not of your own choice.  

I wish there were some way to train our neurons and our net travels to stay focused.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users